These soft baked chocolate protein doughnuts are melt in your mouth delicious! If you need an excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast, this is it! This recipe is simple and easy and made with wholesome ingredients and packed with protein.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp coconut oil, divided (melted)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder of choice (1/4 cup)
- 3 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (for glaze)
- sprinkles (to top)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1/4 cup of the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the almond flour, protein powder, cacao powder, and baking powder to the bowl and fold into the batter until no flour clumps remain.
- Grease a doughnut pan with oil (I used coconut oil) and spoon the batter into each cavity. You can also use a pipping bag or ziplock back and pipe the batter into the doughnut cavities. Fill each one up 2/3 of the way. Tap the pan on the counter to level out the batter then bake in the oven for 10 minutes until the doughnuts have risen. Let cool before removing from the pan to add the glaze.
- For the glaze, melt the chocolate chips and remaining 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a bowl until it's thin and smooth. Dip each cooled doughnut half way into the bowl of melted chocolate. Let the excess chocolate run off before transferring the doughnut to a wire rack. Dust the doughnuts with sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet if desired. Let the chocolate set completely before enjoying!
Omit protein powder : If protein powder isn't your thing, simply omit it from the recipe and add another Tablespoon of cacao in its place.
Gluten-free : I used Ancient Nutrition protein powder which is also gluten-free. Make sure to double check that your protein powder is gluten-free if needed.
Storing : Make sure the glaze on the doughnuts is completely set before storing. To store, place the doughnuts in an airtight container - like a Tupperware or ziplock bag. They will keep for up to 5 days on the counter.
- Category: Doughnuts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: protein doughnuts, baked protein doughnuts, gluten-free doughnuts