This gluten-free cookie cake has all characteristics of the classic cookie cake but is easily made at home! With a soft fudgy center and and creamy chocolate frosting pipped around the edges, it's the perfect treat for any occasion!
Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
As a HUGE cookie cake fan myself, I feel like I've hit the jackpot with this recipe. I mean, a delicious chocolate cookie cake I can make at home whenever I wish, what's better than that? I personally feel like I've died and to heaven.
This gluten-free and dairy-free cookie cake has all the elements of the beloved childhood treat. It's gooey, fudgy, and all things chocolatey! Easily slice it up into personal sized pieces, it makes the ultimate party cake!
How to make a homemade cookie cake
I'm going to go ahead and warn you, this homemade cookie cake is dangerous. You no longer need to drive to one of those cookie cake stores or place a special order at your local grocery store. You can make a mind blowing cookie cake right at home! And you can decorate it however you please! Like I said, dangerous.
There are a few simple tips and tricks to making a gluten-free cookie cake. Follow the steps below and you'll have a masterpiece in no time!
Step 1 : Beat the eggs and coconut sugar
First, beat the eggs and coconut sugar, together in a mixing bowl. You can use either a hand mixer or a stand mixer for this. The key is to really beat them together until you get a nice creamy mixture. The sugar should "dissolve" into the eggs. This is how we achieve a fudgy top layer to the cookie cake!
Step 2 : Fold in the remaining ingredients
Next, add the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate chips, and fold into the egg and coconut sugar mixture with a rubber spatula. The batter will become thick and heavy (this is good). Be sure to use a sturdy spatula or spoon for this part. Keep folding until no flour clumps remain.
Step 3 : Add the chocolate chips
Once the dough is thick and you can't see any big lumps of flour, sprinkle in the chocolate chips. Again, be sure you're using a sturdy spatula. Fold the batter a few times to evenly disperse the chocolate chips amongst the dough.
Step 4 : Press batter into pan
Finally, spoon the batter into a greased pan. I used a 9-inch springform pan so it's easy to get out once it's baked. However, I've also made this with both an 9-inch and 8-inch regular pie pan as well. The springform will help the cookie cake maintain its shape once it's baked and will make removing it from the pan a little easier.
Use the pack of a measuring cup to press the dough into the pan. Make sure it's fairly level. If desired, add a few more chocolate chips on top. Simple press them into the top of the dough before baking it in the oven to get the classic cookie cake look!
Cookie Cake Baking Tips
To ensure your gluten-fee cookie cake turns out picture perfect, here are a few tips to keep in mind when making it at home:
- Use room temperature ingredients. This is particularly the case with the eggs. If needed, simple place the eggs in a bowl of warm water for a couple of minutes to take the chill of them before using.
- Make sure to beat the eggs and coconut sugar together well. This is what gives the nice golden brown crinkle top to the cookie cake. If using a stand mixer, use a medium speed like a 4 for a minute or two until the sugar is basically dissolved.
- Use creamy-style nut butter for this recipe. This ensures a smooth texture to the cookie cake.
- Under-bake the cookie cake slightly. This cookie cake doesn't take long at all to bake and it will continue to cook in the pan once it's out of the oven. To test the doneness, place a toothpick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done. If there are little crumbs on the toothpick, it may need a little more time.
- To achieve the classic cookie cake look, place chocolate chips on the top before you bake it in the oven. You don't need to go overboard with this, just a handful will do!
Vegan Chocoalte Ganache Frosting
For this cookie cake, I used my recipe for Chocolate Ganache Frosting which is used in these Gluten-free Chocolate Cupcakes. This frosting is one of my favorites as it's easy to make and has a decadent flavor.
If desired, you can also make a simple vegan chocolate butter cream. All you need is a softened stick of vegan butter, cacao powder, powdered sugar, and a little nut milk or water. See the notes section of the recipe card below for directions!
Looking for more cookie fun? Check these recipes out!
Deliciously Fudgy Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- 1 egg - room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup coconut oil - melted and cooled
- ¼ cup almond butter - creamy (sub. any nut butter)
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup dairy-free chocolate chips - plus a few more to sprinkle on top, if desired
- ½ batch Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- Sprinkles - optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a bowl, beat together the egg, egg yolk, and coconut sugar until creamy (the mixture should almost double in size). Add the vanilla, coconut oil, and almond butter and continue to beat until well incorporated.1 egg, 1 egg yolk, ⅔ cup coconut sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, ¼ cup coconut oil, ¼ cup almond butter
- Fold in the almond flour and baking soda with a rubber spatula until no flour clumps remain. Add the chocolate chips and continue to fold into the batter.2 cups almond flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ¾ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Spoon batter into a greased 9-inch springform pan**. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to press the batter into the sides of the pan. Add a few more chocolate chips on top if desired. Bake in oven for 20 - 22 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Remove the cookie cake from the spring form pan by first slipping a small knife around the sides to ensure the cake isn't stuck. Then release the "buckle" to release the cake from the pan.
- Prepare the Chocolate Ganache Frosting (or vegan buttercream, see notes section below). Transfer the icing into an icing bag fitted with a star-shaped tip. Pie stars along the edges of the cookie cake and dust with sprinkles if desired.½ batch Chocolate Ganache Frosting, Sprinkles
- Slice with a warm knife and enjoy! To store, place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.