The most amazing moist and fluffy gluten free banana cake! This sheet cake recipe is packed with banana flavor and a touch of nutty cashew butter with a decadent coating of chocolate cream cheese frosting on top. Made in under an hour, it's perfect for gatherings of all kinds!
For the cake
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 4 overripe bananas (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 8-oz vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Using the back of a fork or a stiff whisk, mash the bananas on a plate or in a bowl; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs and coconut sugar together until light and creamy. Add the mashed bananas, vanilla, and cashew butter to the bowl and continue to mix until well incorporated.
- Fold in the almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder to the batter until no flour clumps remain. Be sure not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into a 9 X 13 inch baking pan lined with parchment paper or greased with oil. Use the back of a spoon or spatula to level off the batter and bake in the oven for 30 - 32 minutes until golden brown. Check to make sure it's done by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. Let cool before icing.
For the icing
- In a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese together until light and creamy.
- Slowly add ½ cup of the cacao powder and 1 cup of the powdered sugar to the bowl while it's mixing. Then add the vanilla and 2 Tbsp of almond milk and continue to mix.
- Add the remaining cacao powder and 1 cup of the powdered sugar and continue to beat, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the last cup of powdered sugar slowly to the bowl while mixing. The consistency should be light and creamy. If needed, add another tablespoon of almond milk. If the consistency is too thin, add another ¼ cup of powdered sugar until you reach your desired texture.
Almond flour substitutes : I have found that almond flour ensure a fluffy and optimal texture to this cake. If needed, a gluten-free 1:1 flour will work as well.
Vegan butter substitutes : Softened grass-fed butter is the best substitute for the vegan butter. Room temperature palm shortening will also work in this recipe.
How to cut the cake : To get clean and even slices of cake, use a ruler or tape measurer to get exact measurements of the cake. Use these numbers to figure out how and where to make your slices to get the number of pieces you wish to get from the cake.
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free banana cake, banana cake, gluten free cake