Put your overripe bananas to great use with this moist and decadent gluten free chocolate chocolate chip banana bread! It's a chocolate lovers dream with a fluffy chocolate bread and dark chocolate chips scattered throughout - the perfect excuse to have cake for breakfast!
- 1 1/2 cup mashed bananas (3 - 4 medium bananas)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond butter (sub. any other nut butter)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (plus more to sprinkle on top, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a bowl, mash the bananas with a stiff whisk or the back of a spoon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut sugar, almond butter, and vanilla until well mixed. The mixture should almost double in size and the sugar granules should dissolve. You can test this by rubbing a bit of the mixture in between your thumb and pointer finger. If you feel sugar granules, keep whisking.
Next, measure out 1 ½ cups of the mashed bananas and add it to the batter. Mix well to distribute the banana throughout the batter. If you come across some clumps, break it up with your whisk or spatula.
- Add the almond flour, cacao powder, and baking powder. Mix until the flour is well disbursed and no clumps remain. Be sure not to over mix the batter.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips. This is best done with a rubber spatula. Again, make sure not to over mix. Pour the batter into a 8-inch loaf pan lined with parchment paper or greased with oil. If desired, sprinkle a few extra dark chocolate chips over top. Bake in the oven for an hour. The bread should be cracked on top and you should be able to insert a toothpick into the middle and it come out clean. If not, bake for an additional 5 - 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before cutting into slices. To store the banana bread, keep it in an air-tight container uncut. It will keep for up to 5 days. Warm up a slice in the microwave for 20 seconds when ready to enjoy!
Note : Be sure not to over mix the batter. Over mixing the batter will result in dry banana bread. Simply fold in the flours and chocolate chips into the batter with a rubber spatula.
Note 2 : Make sure to check if the banana bread is done by inserting a toothpick into the center of the bread once baked. If the toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done. If there is batter on the toothpick, the bread needs a little more baking time.
Note 3 : To store the banana bread, keep it in an air-tight container unsliced. It will keep for up to 5 days. Warm up a slice in the microwave for 20 seconds when ready to enjoy!
- Category: Breads
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free chocolate chip banana bread, paleo chocolate banana bread, double chocolate chip banana bread