Handheld egg muffins packed with healthy ingredients like sweet potatoes, broccoli, turkey bacon, and vegan cheese. These egg bites are the perfect on-the-go breakfast or snack. Whip up a batch and enjoy them all week long!
Look, I get it. Every second counts in the morning. Sometimes I feel like I’m a contestant on Ninja Warriors when it comes to getting out the door - you have 5 minutes until you’ll officially be late to work, you have your shoes in hand, you can’t find your car keys, your hair is still damp, you may or may not have forgotten to put mascara on, aaaand you’re running around like a maniac. A nice, nutritious breakfast isn’t really top of the list at times like these.
I can’t solve the missing cars dilemma or the damp hair and lack of mascara. But what I can help you out with is a quick and easy breakfast you can grab while running out the door (after you find those keys). These breakfast muffins are what your mornings have been missing. They have a layer of roasted sweet potatoes on the bottom, crispy broccoli in the middle so you can feel good about yourself, and a dash of cheese because cheese is always a good idea.
Few of my meal prep faves - These overnight oats, or these turkey meatballs, or, one of my favorites, these pesto chicken sliders.
Egg Muffins Tips
- Cut the sweet potatoes into small chunks. This allows them to cook faster and nobody wants a giant hunk of sweet potato in the middle of their egg muffin (on the other hand, that does sound pretty good)
- Along the same lines, you want to cut the broccoli into very small, bite-sized pieces. When they are smaller, you can throw 3 or 4 pieces into each egg muffin and not just one huge piece of broccoli
- I like to place the turkey bacon on top of all the other vegetables. It’s the last thing I put into each cup before the egg mixture and cheese. This way, the bacon floats up to the top so you can have a piece in every bite
- Last but not least, I always add a little bit of egg whites into the mix to provide some bulk. This also cuts down on the total fat content of the muffin which means we can add some back in IN THE FORM OF CHEESE*
*You can use whichever cheese fits your fancy here. I used a vegan cheese (Kite Hill or Miyoko’s are my favorite). Other options that would be down right delicious - goat cheese, feta cheese, or mozzarella cheese ????. Or nix the cheese all together to keep these egg bites paleo-friendly and Whole30 compliant.
Simple & Healthy Breakfast Egg Bites
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
Egg bites loaded with veggies like sweet potatoes and broccoli and topped with crispy turkey bacon. They are the ultimate on-the-go breakfast or quick snack to grab as you’re heading out the door. Make them once and enjoy them all week long!
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (split into thirds)
- 2 cups sweet potato, cubed (approx. 1 medium potato)
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped (approx. 1 broccoli head)
- 6 pieces turkey bacon
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp mixed herbs (any herb mixture works here, I used a parsley and onion blend)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup cheese of choice (optional, I used Kite Hill cream cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In 3 separate skillets, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in each over medium-low heat
- Add chopped sweet potatoes, chopped broccoli, and turkey bacon to separate skillets and cook until soft
- While veggies and bacon are cooking, whisk eggs, egg whites, nutritional yeast, herbs, and sea salt thoroughly
- Line a muffin tin with liners or grease each cup with olive oil
- Fill the bottom of each cup with sweet potatoes (you just want a couple cubes to cover the bottom of the cup) then add 3-4 pieces of broccoli on top
- Cut turkey bacon into thin strips and place a couple pieces on top of the broccoli
- Carefully pour the egg mixture into each cup, filling about ¾ of the way to the top (you can use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop the mixture and pour into each cup)
- Finally, top each cup with cheese, if desired (spit the ⅓ cup cheese into thirds and crumble over top of each row)
- Bake in oven for 20-24 minutes, until the edges turn a golden brown and the middle is firm
- Serve immediately or store in fridge for up to 5 days*
*Note : To heat up egg bites from the fridge, warm in microwave or toast in a toaster oven for 30-45 seconds
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove top & Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Egg Muffin
- Calories: 148
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Protein: 1
Keywords: Healthy Egg Bites, Egg Muffins, Meal Prep, Paleo, Whole30
MAKE SURE TO TAG ME @THE.FIT.PEACH ON INSTAGRAM OR LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW IF YOU MAKE THIS SIMPLE & HEALTHY BREAKFAST EGG BITES RECIPE.
Leave a Reply