Homemade gluten-free fig newton cookies you can whip up in a flash! Each bar has a pillowy soft crust wrapped around a fruity strawberry and fig filling that even the kids will love! This healthy fig newton recipe is so easy, it can be made in under an hour!
For the Dough
- 4 Tbsp grass-fed butter, room-temperature (sub. vegan butter)
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the Filling
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup figs
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 - 2 Tbsp honey (depending on desired sweetness)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Add the butter and coconut sugar to a bowl and beat until creamy with a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
2. Whisk together the almond flour, cassava flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Slowly fold into the mixture with the butter until a large dough forms; do not over mix. Cover dough in saran wrap and place in fridge while you prepare the filling.
3. Add the washed strawberries and figs to a sauce pan with the lemon juice and honey and heat over medium-low heat until the fruit begins to soften. Add the mixture to a food processor and pulse until thick and jam-like; set aside.
4. Cut the dough in half and roll out on a floured piece of parchment paper about 1/2 inch thick; form into a rectangular shape and cut rough edges.
5. Spoon half the filling on top of the dough just left of center. Using the parchment paper to guide you, roll the left side of the dough over top of the filling. Repeat with the right side and press the ends down to "glue" it shut. Cut the log of dough in half and then again in half so you're left with 4 fig newton bars (cut into smaller pieces if desired). Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12 - 15 minutes until golden brown. Repeat with other half of the dough.
6. Enjoy once cooled or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week
- Category: Bars
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Healthy Fig Newtons, Paleo Fig Newtons, Healthy Fig Bars