Elevate the classic movie theater snack with this homemade cheesy popcorn recipe! It's made on the stove and tossed with a homemade savory seasoning including garlic, herbs, and nutritional yeast for quick and easy healthy popcorn toppings. Made entirely vegan and gluten-free too!
- 5 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp onion salt blend (I used Trader Joes but see notes on how to make your own)
- Pour 3 Tbsp olive oil in a pot and place it on the stove over medium heat. Put a few "test" kernels (like 3 - 4) in the pot then place the lid on top. The test kernels will tell you when the oil is hot enough.
- Once the test kernels have popped, pour in the remaining popcorn kernels and place the lid back on top. The kernels should all begin to pop after a few minutes. After they have slowed down and you only hear a few pops every few seconds, the popcorn is done.
- Remove the pot from the stove and pour the popcorn into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil to the bowl along with the nutritional yeast and onion salt blend. Shake the bowl up and down and side to side to distribute the seasoning. The goal is to move the popcorn at the bottom of the bowl to the top of the bowl without spilling them. Once the popcorn has been well shaken, enjoy straight from the mixing bowl or pour into individual bowls and get to snackin'!
Olive oil substitutes : Yes, if desired you can use any lightly flavored oil like avocado oil, coconut oil, or almond oil. Butter will work in this recipe as well.
Onion salt blend : I used Trader Joes onion salt blend but you can also make your own! Simply mix together 2 tsp onion powder, 2 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp dried chives, 2 tsp sea salt.
Storing : This cheesy popcorn is best kept in an airtight container like a large Tupperware or ziplock bag. It will keep fresh for up to 3 days. Keep in mind that the popcorn will become a little softer after each day so it's best to enjoy it sooner rather than later.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cheesy Popcorn, Healthy Popcorn, Healthy Popcorn Toppings, Vegan Popcorn,