These are the absolute best dark chocolate paleo brownies EVER! With a deep fudgy texture, rich chocolaty flavor, and a crackled top, these brownies just can't be beat! Made paleo-friendly, gluten-free, and dairy-free, I consider them better than boxed brownies.
- 1 9-oz bag dark chocolate chips (roughly 2 cups), divided
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp espresso (sub. 1 Tbsp strong coffee)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt 1 1/3 cups of the chocolate and the coconut oil in a pot on the stove over medium-low heat. Stir continuously until thin and silky smooth in consistency. Remove from element and set aside to cool down slightly.
- Beat the eggs and coconut sugar in a bowl using a stand mixer, hand beater, or stiff whisk. Whisk until the mixture has doubled in size and is slightly thick and sticky. This can take about 3 - 5 minutes and is the key to the crackled top layer!
- Once you have beat the coconut sugar and eggs well, add the vanilla and melted chocolate to the bowl. Fold with a rubber spatula until the chocolate is fully incorporated.
- Next, add the almond flour, cacao powder, espresso powder, and sea salt to the bowl. Slowly fold the batter until no flour clumps remain.
- Add in the remaining chocolate chips (about 3/4 cup) and give the batter a couple big mixes to disperse the chips. Pour the batter into an 8x8 baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 24 - 28 minutes until you can insert a toothpick into the middle and it comes out clean.
- Let the brownies cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing into squares. See note below on how to get a perfectly clean cut! To store, place in an airtight container. The brownies will stay fresh for up to 5 days on the counter.
Crinkle top : The secret to the crinkle top layer on these brownies is to really beat the coconut sugar and eggs together. This is best done with a hand or stand mixer but can also be done with a stiff whisk. Mix the two ingredients together until the mixture becomes slightly thick in consistency and has almost doubled in size. This can take anywhere from 2 - 5 minutes of mixing.
Glass pan : If baking with glass, increase the baking time to 30 - 35 minutes. Check the brownies by inserting a toothpick in the middle. With a glass baking pan, they will continue to cook for a little longer once pulled out of the oven.
Slicing : There are two ways to achieve a clean cut when slicing the brownies. The first, use a plastic knife if you have one. This works wonders every time! The second is with a thin metal knife that has been "warmed up". Simply run the blade under some hot water for a few seconds, wipe off the liquid and then cut. Which ever method you use, you'll want to clean off the knife after every cut.
Storing : To store these paleo brownies, place them in an airtight container. They will keep for up to 5 days on the counter. If storing them in the fridge, warm up a square in the microwave for 15 seconds before enjoying to take the chill off.
- Category: Brownies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: paleo brownies, healthy brownies, dark chocolate brownies, gluten-free brownies