- 1 1/2 cup warm almond milk
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (1 package)
- 1 tsp sea salt (plus more to add on top)
- 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 2/3 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour (plus more to roll out dough)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 425 F. In a bowl, add the warm almond milk and instant yeast and let it rest for 2 - 3 minutes. The yeast should fuzz up and develop and foamy layer on top - this is how you know it's active.
- Add sea salt, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar to the bowl and whisk. Then, slowly fold in the oat flour, tapioca flour, and baking powder. The dough may be a tad sticky at this point but once we knead it it's easier to handle.
- Transfer the dough to a flat surface sprinkled with extra tapioca flour. Knead the dough for 3 -4 minutes until it's soft and pillow-like.
- Spread the olive oil along the sides of a bowl and add the dough to the bowl. Let the dough rest for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a flat surface again and cut 8 - 10 slices of dough. Roll in between the palms of your hands and the flat surface to create a "snake". To form a pretzel shape, make a big U with the dough. Layer the right side of the U over the left so you have a V on top of an O. Next, grab the right-end and pull it to the bottom left side of the O beneath. Pull the left-end and pull it to the bottom of the right side of the O. You should now have a pretzel shape. Press the tails down slightly to secure the pretzel.
- Heat 1/3 cup baking soda in a pot of water until it simmers. Gently lower each pretzel into the baking soda "bath" for about 30 seconds then place on a baking sheet to bake.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 13 - 15 minutes until golden brown. These pretzels are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
Keywords: gluten-free soft pretzels, vegan soft pretzels, healthy soft pretzels, homemade soft pretzels