This watermelon salad is exactly what you need to cool off on those hot summer days. Loaded with juicy, refreshing watermelon, creamy avocado, and sprinkled with mint it’s sure to be a summer time favorite!
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 medium watermelon (approx. 6 - 8 cups)
- 2 small avocados, cut into chunks
- 4 oz feta cheese crumbles (approx. 1 cup) (use dairy-free if desired)
- 3 Tbsp mint (finely chopped)
- Pour the balsamic vinegar into a pot and heat it on the stove over medium-high heat until it begins to simmer. Then reduce the heat to medium-low and stir continuously until it thickens up. You should start to see the balsamic stick to the back of a spoon or spatula. This can take anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes. Once thick, remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool down. Pour the balsamic glaze into a container and place it in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to chill. It will thicken up a little more in the fridge as well.
- While the balsamic glaze is cooling, cut the watermelon into large chunks and place in large mixing bowl with the avocado chunks, feta cheese, and mint. Toss with a large spoon to evenly distribute the ingredients. Place the bowl in the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, transfer the watermelon salad to a serving container and drizzle about 1/3 cup of the balsamic glaze over top and enjoy! Alternatively, serve without the glaze and allow others to drizzle it over their salad themselves.
Dairy-free and Vegan : To make this watermelon salad dairy-free and vegan simply use a dairy-free feta in the recipe. Vio Life is one of my favorite dairy-free cheese brands.
Serving : This refreshing watermelon feta mint salad is best served chilled and right after the balsamic glaze is drizzled over top. You can also serve the salad without the glaze and allow people to drizzle the glaze themselves.
Storing Salad: Due to the nature of the fresh ingredients in this summer salad, it won't keep well for more than a day. The fresh mint leaves may become a little wilted and the avocado slides may turn slightly brown. This is why I recommend serving this watermelon feta mint salad the same day it's made.
Storing Balsamic Glaze : To store the balsamic glaze (you will have some left over), place it in a airtight jar and store it in the fridge where it will keep for up to a month.
- Category: Salads
- Method: Hand-toss
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: watermelon feta mint salad, watermelon feta salad, watermelon avocado salad