Made with tender chicken, fresh veggies, and hearty brown rice and topped with a homemade creamy avocado yogurt sauce, this healthy chicken taco bowl is the perfect way to elevate your Taco Tuesday!
There’s nothing better than juicy chicken tacos! However, if you’re anything like me, trying to hold a tortilla together while wrangling kids at the dinner table isn’t always an easy feat. That’s where this chicken taco bowl recipe comes in to save the day!
With warm seasoned chicken, fresh veggies, and a creamy avocado yogurt sauce, it has all the flavors and textures you look for in a classic chicken taco with none of the fuss. Quick to prepare, it’s loaded with nutritious ingredients for a healthy taco bowl that tastes even better than any you’d find at your local Mexican restaurant. Even better, the ingredients can be mixed and matched to satisfy all your flavor preferences and dietary needs, meaning it’s an easy recipe the whole family will look forward to eating!
If you’re looking for more Mexican-inspired meals, check out my easy taco casserole, chicken fajita casserole, and these southwest quesadillas, too!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- High-protein and full of healthy fats, vitamins, and nutrients
- Naturally gluten free and dairy free-friendly
- Leftovers store well for quick and easy meals throughout the week
- You can mix and match different ingredients and toppings to suit all your needs
Ingredients & Notes
Chicken taco bowl
- Chicken - I highly recommend chicken breasts for this recipe as they absorb the flavor of the rest of the ingredients well. If preferred, chicken thighs could be used as well.
- Spices - Sea salt, paprika, garlic powder, and cumin create a bold, Mexican-inspired flavor with just a hint of spice.
- Oil - I prefer to use olive oil to coat the chicken, locking in moisture and helping the spices stick. However, avocado oil would work, too.
- Vegetables - Corn, cherry tomatoes, and red onion add a pop color of color along with extra nutrients and fiber and a satisfying crunch.
- Rice - I like to use Instant Brown Rice in place of white rice wherever I can as it's full of fiber to keep you full. Plus, the instant varieties cook in minutes! Feel free to use white rice, if that’s what you prefer.
Creamy avocado yogurt sauce
- Greek yogurt - Forms the base of the sauce, creating the same tangy flavor and creamy texture you’d get with sour cream but with less saturated fat and a lot more protein. If needed, you could easily swap it out for a plain, dairy-free yogurt.
- Avocado - Used to enhance the creaminess of the sauce while adding a boost of healthy fat.
- Oil - I like to use olive oil to smooth out the ingredients without watering them down. However, avocado oil could be used as well.
- Spices - A dash of sea salt and chili pepper enhance the rest of the ingredients and add the perfect amount of heat.
- Cilantro - The bright herbaceous flavor lightens up the entire dish.
Thanks to the use of Instant Rice, you can have a healthy taco bowl ready in minutes. All you’ll need is a small bowl, a large skillet, a blender or food processor, and a working microwave.
Step 1: Cook the chicken. Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise into 2-3 thin slices. Coat the slices evenly with the seasonings.
Then, heat the olive oil in a skillet, and cook the chicken on both sides until it is cooked about 90% of the way through. Transfer it to a plate, and set it aside.
Step 2: Char the corn. Using the same skillet, cook the corn kernels over medium heat, stirring occasionally until they are lightly charred.
Step 3: Blend the dressing. While the corn is cooking, add all the dressing ingredients to a blender or food processor, and pulse until smooth.
Step 4: Prepare the rice. Cook the rice according to the package instructions, and set it aside.
Step 5: Assemble the taco bowls. Slice the chicken breast into strips. Then, layer the brown rice in a bowl followed by the tomatoes, red onions, corn, and chicken. Drizzle the avocado yogurt sauce on top, and enjoy!
- Switch up the protein with steak, shrimp, or tofu for a vegetarian option.
- Add jalapeños to the sauce for extra heat.
- Substitute the brown rice with cauliflower rice for a low-carb option.
- Slice the chicken breast very thinly. I can usually get 2 or 3 pieces from one large breast. This is the best way to get juicy tender chicken.
- Cook the chicken in a large skillet, and use enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. This is how you get a little crispiness on the outside of the chicken.
- Use a small blender or a Nutribullet if you have one to make the sauce. A smaller container will allow the sauce to mix better without requiring you to stop the blender frequently.
How to Store
If you have leftovers, store each taco bowl ingredient (chicken, vegetables, rice, and sauce) separately in an airtight container. When ready to enjoy, heat the chicken in the microwave in 20-second increments until warm. Next, place the rice in a bowl, and heat it in the microwave until warm. Then, prepare your chicken taco bowl with the remaining ingredients and sauce, and dig in!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, quinoa can be swapped 1:1 with the rice in this healthy taco bowl recipe. Prepare the quinoa according to the package instructions.
I know the herb is not for everyone. So, if needed you can omit it entirely from the sauce.
If sliced thinly, the chicken should take 2 - 3 minutes on both sides to cook all the way through. I recommend slicing it into one piece to make sure it’s cooked through or using a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches an internal temperature of 165 ºF before removing it from the skillet.
For more Mexican-inspired meals, check out my:
Chicken Taco Bowls Recipe
- 1 Large Skillet
- 1 Food Processor or Blender
For the Bowl
- 1 lb chicken breast - 2 large breasts
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- 15 oz can corn
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes - halved
- ¼ red onion - cut thinly
- 2 9 oz bags instant brown rice
Creamy Avocado Yogurt Sauce
- ⅔ cup greek yogurt
- ½ avocado
- Juice from 2 limes - approx, ¼ cup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- Handful cilantro leaves - approx, 3 stems
- Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise into 2-3 thin slices. I find it’s easiest to place a paper towel over the breast when cutting to make sure it doesn't slip. Add the salt, paprika, garlic powder, and cumin to a bowl and mix well. Rub the chicken breast pieces with the seasonings.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once the oil begins to sparkle, place the chicken breast in the skillet and cook until the edges begin to turn white (about 2 minutes). Flip the chicken over and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes until 90% cooked through. Drizzle the lime juice over the chicken and cook until done. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the corn and heat over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the corn is charred.
- While the corn is cooking, prepare the dressing by placing all the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions.
- Slice the chicken breast into strips.
- Assemble the taco bowls with the brown rice on the bottom followed by a handful of cherry tomatoes, red onions, corn, and chicken. Drizzle the creamy avocado yogurt sauce over top and enjoy!
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Leave a Reply