This Turkey Sweet Potato Chili combines the lean and savory goodness of ground turkey with the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes, creating a balanced and satisfying meal that's both healthy and delicious. With its delightful blend of flavors and the added bonus of being a fantastic make-ahead option, this chili promises to become a family favorite for busy weeknights or cozy gatherings.
Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
If you're in the mood for a heartwarming and flavor-packed dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also warms your soul, then this sweet potato chili is the recipe you've been searching for.
As someone who is known for taking classic comforting dishes and lightening them up with healthier and more wholesome ingredients, this turkey sweet potato chili is up there on my list of all time favorite recipes.
This delightful twist on traditional chili takes the comforting, rich flavors of a classic chili and infuses them with the natural sweetness and earthy goodness of sweet potatoes. Together with lean ground turkey, the result is a hearty and nutritious one-pot wonder that will have you coming back for seconds.
- Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
- Why You'll Love this Healthy & Delicious Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
- Sweet Potato Turkey Chili Ingredients & Substitutions
- How to make Sweet Potato Chili
- How to Serve Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
- Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Chili: Crockpot Version
- Storing & Freezing Sweet Potato Chili
- Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili FAQs
Why You'll Love this Healthy & Delicious Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
- Dietary features - paleo, gluten free, dairy free, and Whole30
- No beans
- Made in under an hour
- Can be made in a crockpot
- Kid friendly
Sweet Potato Turkey Chili Ingredients & Substitutions
- Sweet potatoes - This is what adds a soft a creamy texture to the chili (similar to beans). Feel free to remove the skins off the potato before dicing but this isn't necessary.
- Ground turkey - I personally prefer the white meat but dark meat will work as well. Use anywhere from 85% - 95% fat free. You need the fat to help keep it soft and moist. I've tried this with 99% fat free turkey and it's a little too dry.
- Tomato sauce - This is the base of the sauce. Make sure to use tomato sauce, not paste. Use low sodium if preferred.
- Chicken broth - Again, use low sodium if you can. Swap with vegetable broth or bone broth if needed.
- Chipotle powder - This will add some heat to the chili. Omit and use some extra paprika or chili powder if desired.
How to make Sweet Potato Chili
I typically prepare this beanless chili on the stove in a large pot or in an Instant Pot. See notes below on cooking this in a slow cooker.
Step 1 : Sautée the sweet potatoes
In a large pot (or in an Instant Pot on the sautée function) sautée the sweet potatoes and onions with the olive oil over medium heat. Place the lid on top and allow the sweet potatoes to cook for about 20 minutes until soft.
Step 2 : Add the turkey and spices
Once the onions are translucent and the sweet potatoes are soft enough to cut into with a spatula, add in the spices and turkey.
Sautée the turkey to cook it evenly and distribute the spices. Continue to do this until the turkey is brown all the way through.
Step 3 : Pour in tomato sauce and broth
Add the tomato sauce and broth to the pot and stir to distribute. Place the lid back on the pot to allow the chili to cook more and absorb the liquids.
If you're using an Instant Pot, use the "keep warm" function. The chili will thicken up with time and become even more flavorful.
How to Serve Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
Serve the chili in bowls with toppings of choice. Here are a few of my favorite ways to top this turkey chili:
- Avocado - Chopped into chunks, they add some major creaminess to the dish.
- Greek yogurt - An alternative to the traditional sour cream. I prefer 0% fat as it's thicker and creamier. Use dairy free if needed.
- Jalapeño - This is my husband's favorite. A few slices will add some extra heat to the chili.
- Dairy free cheese - The Violife brand is my go-to dairy free cheese brand.
- Toasted bread - Adds some nice crunch on top!
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Chili: Crockpot Version
This recipe can easily be made in a crockpot as well. Drizzle the olive oil along the bottom then add the ground turkey followed by the sweet potatoes, onion, and spices.
Pour the tomato sauce and broth over top and stir to combine. Cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or on high for 3 - hours. Check the doneness towards the end to test the softness of the sweet potatoes. If they are soft enough to be cut with a spoon, the chili is done.
Storing & Freezing Sweet Potato Chili
Storing Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
Allow the chili to cool down before transferring it to an airtight container. This will limit condensation from forming on top of the chili. Store the container in the fridge were it will keep for up to 5 days.
When ready to enjoy, portion out into individual bowls and heat in the microwave or heat it up in a pot on the stove until warm.
Freezing Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
This beanless chili also freezes really well! I actually think it tastes even better than when it's fresh since the mixture has had time to absorb all the flavors and spices.
To freeze, store the container in the freezer where it will keep for 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw and reheat on the stove and enjoy!
Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili FAQs
Yes absolutely! Add a can of red kidney beans and a can of black beans when you pour in the tomato sauce and broth.
Yes a lean beef will work as well or ground chicken.
Yes if you have extra time to allow the chili to cook it works really well in a crockpot. Refer to the section above which goes through how to cook this in a crockpot.
This chili is naturally gluten free. If you want to top your chili with chips or bread, use gluten free if needed.
With Whole30 approved meat and tomato sauce, yes it is! I recommend topping the chili with avocado slices so extra fat to keep you full on the Whole30.
For more cozy meals, try my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
- chopped parsley
- greek yogurt
- jalapeno slices
- avocado chunks
- dairy free cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a pot or in an Instant Pot using the sauté function with the sweet potatoes and onions over medium-low heat. Cook until the sweet potatoes are soft enough to cut with a spatula.
- Add the garlic powder, chipotle powder, paprika, and sea salt to the pot along with the ground turkey. Chop up the turkey while it's cooking so there aren't any large chunks. Continue to cook until the turkey is brown all the way through.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and chicken broth and stir to coat. Place the lid on the pot and allow the chili to cook for another 10 minutes on low heat. If you're using an Instant Pot, use the "keep warm" function.
- Serve warm and top with optional toppings like avocado chunks, parsley, greek yogurt, etc. and enjoy!