With a graham cracker-style crust, melted chocolate in the middle, and gooey marshmallows throughout, these s'mores bars need to be on your summer bucket list! These bars have a healthy twist on the classic childhood treat. They're made gluten-free, paleo-friendly, and dairy-free for the most epic s'mores yet!
Summer is incomplete without a crunchy, messy s'more am I right?! I get goosebumps just thinking about sitting out back on a summer night by a fire pit roasting a marshmallow. When I think of s'mores, I think of the epitome of care-free.
Healthy Chocolate S'mores Bars Layers
There are 3 incredible layers to this decadent treat:
graham cracker-style crust
Not going to lie, this took me a couple tries to perfect. But in the end, we have nailed the graham cracker texture, taste, and look! The key here is the combination of almond flour and coconut sugar and molasses. Yes, molasses like you use in gingerbread cookies. We use just a little here to give the crust the graham cracker flavor we know and love!
melted dark chocolate layer
We keep it simple here. There's nothing better than warm, melted dark chocolate chips. Simple sprinkle (aka pour) your favorite chocolate chips (I used these which are my favorite for baking) on top of the graham cracker crust and your work is done. They melt entirely on their own when baked into a smooth layer of chocolate.
fluffy vegan marshmallows scattered throughout
This is where you can get creative. I used a simple vegan vanilla marshmallow in this recipe but nowadays, there are so many flavors to choose from. I'm talking anything from strawberries & cream to mint chocolate chip to cookie dough. Like I said, get creative!
S'mores Bars Baking Tips
Here are a few tricks to ensure your treats turn out absolutely scrumptious:
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper. Trust me, this makes things a whole lot easier down the line. S'mores can get messy (which honestly is the best part), however, cutting them into nice even squares makes them that much prettier!
- Be sure to press the graham cracker crust into the entirety of the bottom of the pan. This means paying extra special care to those corners. And don't forget to reserve some dough to crumble on top 😉
- Sprinkle some additional chocolate chips on top. This is optional but adds a little something extra to these tasty treats. Plus, nobody every complains about too much chocolate.
Storing Your S'more Bars
These s'mores bars are best served warm out of the oven but they also heat back up well. Once cooled completely, store the pre-cut bars in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. When ready to eat, warm a bar up in the microwave in 20 second intervals until the chocolate melts!
In the mood for more chocolaty treats? Check these out for your next baking adventure!
S'mores Cookies Bars
- ⅓ cup coconut oil - melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 3 tablespoon almond milk
- 2 cups almond flour
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips - plus more to top if desired
- 1 ½ cup mini vegan marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, vanilla, coconut sugar, molasses, and almond milk until well incorporated and set aside.⅓ cup coconut oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla, ½ cup coconut sugar, 1 teaspoon molasses, 3 tablespoon almond milk
- Whisk together the almond flour, tapioca flour, nutmeg, sea salt, and baking soda. Slowly fold the flour mixture into the bowl with the coconut oil until no flour clumps remain.2 cups almond flour, ⅓ cup tapioca flour, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Press about ⅔ of the dough (reserve the other ⅓ to top) into the bottom of an 8 x 8 lined baking pan. Sprinkle 1 cup of the chocolate chips on top followed by the marshmallows. Crumble the remaining dough on top of the marshmallows and sprinkle with more chocolate chips if desired.1 cup dark chocolate chips, 1 ½ cup mini vegan marshmallows
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the dough on top begins to turn a golden brown. Turn the oven on to a high broil and bake for 1 - 2 minutes to really toast the marshmallows.
- Let cool then cut into squares and enjoy! If saving for later, store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Microwave in 20 second increments when ready to eat!