With a graham cracker-style crust and a gooey tropical pineapple center topped with shredded coconut, these bars are like a piña colada in bar form! These bars are sweet and tangy with loads of Caribbean vibes. Made gluten-free and paleo-friendly!
Summer is in full swing and there are a few things I love more than a nice juicy pineapple these days. The sweet and tropical flavors make me crave the sand and salt water. With these homemade bars, we level up our pineapple game with a crispy base, shredded coconut sprinkled on top, along with extra buttery crumble. You could probably throw some rum in the mix and call it a piña colada ;).
Components of a Pineapple Coconut Crumb Bars
These delicious bars have 3 main components:
graham-cracker style base
sweet pineapple filling
coconut shreds and buttery crumble topping
Pineapple Crisp Bar Ingredients
date nectar (or other sweetener of choice)
How to make Pineapple Coconut Crumb Bars
- To prepare the crust, mix together the melted coconut oil, date nectar, molasses, vanilla, and coconut sugar. Fold in the almond flour, baking soda, and sea salt until the mixture forms large clumps that stick together
- Reserve ⅔ cup of the mixture and press the remaining amount into an 8 x 8 baking pan lined with parchment paper. I like to do this with the back of a rubber spatula and really press down around the edges and corners. Pre-bake the crust in an oven. Let cool.
- While the crust is cooling, make the pineapple filling. The most crucial part of this step is to drain. the. pineapple. Slightly open the can of crushed pineapple (I used Native Forest Crushed Pineapple) and let the excess juice drain out over the sink or keep the juice for smoothies. Then place the pineapple in a bowl with a layer or 2 of paper towels laid down at the bottom of the bowl. This helps drain any left over juice.
- Once the pineapple is as dry as you can get it, place it in a bowl and stir in the coconut sugar and arrowroot starch. Spread the pineapple over top of the crust.
- In a bowl, mix together the reserved ⅔ cup of the crumble with the shredded coconut. Sprinkle over top of the pineapple and bake in oven again until crispy.