This skinny smoky grapefruit margarita is a delicious spin on the classic sweet and sour cocktail and can be made with only 4 main ingredients and no added sugar. With a smoky undertone from the mezcal and hints of sweet yet tart citrus, this is a drink that's worth enjoying with family and friends.
You know what they say - 'when life hands you grapefruit, make a pitcher of grapefruit margaritas!'. Okay maybe not exactly that but I'd take a marg over lemonade any day. This marg is all things tart, citrusy, tangy, and sure to level up your happy hour!
What makes margaritas so great?
Margarita's are a happy hour favorite and it's safe to say they aren't going anywhere. The thing I love about a margarita are the endless flavor possibilities. Seriously, there are so many ways to make a margarita. There's:
- Watermelon - amazing in a margarita
- Pomegranate - adds a splash of sweetness and a fun color!
- Jalapeño - I could never turn down a spicy marg
Here's what you need to whip up a refreshing margarita!
- Grapefruit juice - fresh is best!
- Lime juice - fresh is (also) best!
- Mezcal - the smokiness pairs perfectly with the citrus but tequila will work too
- Orange bitters - augusto bitters will work too
- Sea salt - for the rim
What is mezcal?
Mezcal is ahh-mazing. It's my liquor of choice (when I'm not pregnant that is). Mezcal actually came before tequila. All tequilas are mezcals, but not all mezcals are tequilas. Is your brain spinning yet?
To be labeled tequila, the liquor has to come from blue agave. Whereas mezcal can be made from any type of agave. Mezcal has this rich, smoky flavor that is absolutely delicious in a cocktail. I highly recommend trying it out, especially in this margarita recipe.
How to make the perfect grapefruit margarita
- Fresh lime juice. I think this goes without saying, but fresh is best. The bottled lime juice is great in a pinch but nothing beats the taste of freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Fresh grapefruit. Like limes, fresh grapefruit juice is unbeatable. Because grapefruits are grown throughout the country in places like California, Texas, and Florida, they are available pretty much all year round. The type of grapefruit in season varies but you can almost always find them in stores. Look for heavy, plump grapefruit to make sure it's ripe!
- Good quality tequila. I personally prefer Mezcal which gives these margaritas a delicious smoky flavor, however, any tequila will work. Just make sure you aren't skimping on the quality or you may hate yourself tomorrow morning and never want a margarita again.
For more cocktail recipes, try my:
Skinny Smoky Grapefruit Margarita
- 2 oz. mezcal - tequila will work as well
- 2 oz fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 oz fresh lime juice
- 3 dashes orange bitters
- 1 - 2 cups ice
- sea salt for rim
- First fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Then pour the mezcal, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and orange bitters in the shaker and shake well until very cold.2 oz. mezcal, 2 oz fresh grapefruit juice, 2 oz fresh lime juice, 3 dashes orange bitters, 1 - 2 cups ice
- Salt the rim of a cocktail glass, pour cocktail into each glass with ice, and garnish with a grapefruit slice if desired.sea salt for rim