If you're looking for a quick healthy breakfast or a protein loaded snack, look no further. This banana bread protein smoothie is super creamy and packed with flavor! Whip it up in a flash with only 6 main ingredients!
This Banana Bread Protein Smoothie recipe is sponsored by Elmhurst. As always, all thoughts are my own. Thank you so much for supporting brands that make The Fit Peach possible!
What is a banana bread smoothie?
Rest assured, there is not actual banana bread in this smoothie. Just a few simple ingredients that add subtle hints of the classic banana bread.
I personally prefer my smoothies to resemble a milkshake - rich and creamy with a thick consistency. Which is exactly what we have here! This banana bread protein smoothie encompasses all the components of your favorite milkshake but is much healthier and made with nutritious ingredients. A win-win situation if you ask me!
- Elmhurst 1925 Oat Milk - Used to add a little liquid to the smoothie. This oat milk is one of my favorites because it only has 3 ingredients - oats, water, and salt. Just the way it should be!
- Banana - This makes up the base of the smoothie. Frozen banana slices are preferred for this recipe to give it the ultimate creamy texture.
- Oats - Used to thicken up the smoothie and provide a bit of a "banana bread" flavor.
- Protein powder - Added to ensure the smoothie is packed with nutrients! To make this shake completely vegan, make sure to use a vegan protein - like pea protein powder.
- Almond butter - Provides a slightly nutty flavor and some added creaminess to this banana almond butter smoothie!
Step by Step Instructions
Add ingredients to blender
To make this banana bread protein smoothie, first add the ingredients to a high-speed blender.
Blend on medium speed until the frozen bananas and ice are broken up and the mixture is running smoothly in the blender. At first, the bananas and ice will hop around in the blender. It's important to leave the blender on medium speed until they are chopped up. Once the mixture is smooth, increase the speed to high and let it blend for a few seconds to really grind up the ingredients.
Pour into glasses and top
Pour the smoothie into a glass and top with desired toppings.
For a "banana bread" feel, add extra slices of banana, a sprinkle of rolled oats, cinnamon, and a few chocolate chips (my favorite!).
Enjoy with a straw or a spoon, however you choose!
This is one of the easiest smoothies on the block! Here are a few tip and tricks to ensure your banana bread protein smoothie is creamy and oh so dreamy:
- As with most recipes, high-quality ingredients is a must! Elmhurst 1925 Oat Milk is an all time favorite over here. It's only made with 3 ingredients and it packs a punch with 20 grams of whole grains per serving!
- Freeze your banana beforehand. This is a game changer. Slice up your banana into chunks, put them in a ziplock bag, and pop it in the freezer. After about 30 minutes they should have a nice chill to them. However, I like to do this overnight for best results. I'm known to always have a bag of frozen bananas in the freezer at all times. It will keep for about 6 months in the freezer so why not?!
- Don't skip the toppings! I know I say these are optional but they really level up the smoothie game.
Commonly Asked Questions
Depends on what you're making a smoothie for and personal preference. If you're making a smoothie for breakfast, adding some protein may be beneficial as it will keep you full for longer. If you're just making a quick little afternoon snack, you may skip the protein so you're not too full in the latter part of the day.
Yes! Bananas are the ultimate smoothie ingredient as they add a nice creamy texture to the drink.
I prefer frozen banana in my smoothies but it's not absolutely necessary. This recipe calls for a little ice as well which will help make it cold. Try slicing up a banana and storing it in a zip lock bag in the freezer for when the smoothie craving kicks in! The banana will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months!
Check out these other frozen drinks and "real" banana bread!
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!