This gluten free healthy chocolate chip banana bread is everything you want banana bread to be and more! Each slice is tender, moist, and fluffy with a healthy dose of chocolate. Made in one bowl with wholesome ingredients like overripe bananas, almond flour, and almond butter, this banana bread recipe is one you'll want to save.
This is The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe you'll make
If you're like me and have a horrible tendency to over buy bananas and don't eat them before they turn brown, this recipe is for YOU! This healthy chocolate chip banana bread is the perfect way to use up old bananas - not to mention it's gluten free and paleo too!
I love love love my healthy chocolate banana bread and my banana bread doughnuts, but sometimes the heart wants just a simple healthy chocolate chip banana bread which is exactly what we have here! It's made with only a few simple pantry staples and has no added sugar - just good ole fashion bananas!
- This is The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe you'll make
- Why you'll love this Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Ingredients
- How to make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Healthy)
- Tips for making The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Healthy Variations
- How to store Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Bread FAQ
Why you'll love this Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Easy one bowl recipe
- A great way to use up overripe bananas
- Requires minimal ingredients you probably have on hand
- It’s made both gluten free and dairy free
- It’s kid-friendly too!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Ingredients
What I love most about this recipe is that I probably already have the ingredients on hand. Here is what you need to whip up a batch at home:
- Overripe bananas - Slightly brown and soft is best. Try to avoid using green/light yellow bananas as they will be a little stiff and won't provide the moisture needed.
- Almond butter - Creamy style is best. Any nut butter will work in this recipe.
- Almond flour + Coconut flour - This combination of gluten-free flours provides the perfect amount of fluffiness and lift to this paleo chocolate chip banana bread.
- Mini chocolate chips - I prefer to use mini chocolate chips in my banana bread so there is a little bit of chocolate in every bite. This Enjoy Life brand is my go-to. However, any chocolate chips or chunks will work in this recipe.
How to make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Healthy)
This gluten free healthy chocolate chip banana bread can be made in just one bowl. All you need is a hand or stand mixer and a loaf pan.
Step 1 : Mash the bananas
First, mash the bananas with the back of fork to break up any large chunks. Mash them up until you reach a slightly thick consistency.
Step 2 : Beat the wet ingredients
In the mixing bowl, beat the eggs, almond butter, and vanilla until well mixed. Then add the mashed bananas and continue to mix until creamy. There may be some small chunks of banana in the batter which is okay!
Step 3 : Fold in dry ingredients
Add the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder to the batter and fold to incorporate. Be sure not to ver mix this step to prevent the bread from becoming too dry. Just fold until no flour clumps remain.
Step 4 : Mix in the chocolate chips
Finally, add the chocolate chips to the bowl and fold in with a rubber spatula. Again, be sure not to over mix this step. Only mix to distribute the chocolate chips.
Step 5 : Bake!
Pour the batter into a lined 8 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle some additional chocolate chips over top if desired. Bake in the oven until the bread has risen and you can insert a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.
Sprinkle some sea salt flakes over tip while it's warm and then let the gluten free healthy chocolate chip banana bread cool before cutting it into slices.
Tips for making The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- Mash up the bananas about 90% of the way. You want little tiny chunks to be visible. Those are the good parts of the banana bread!
- Don’t over mix the batter. Both almond flour and coconut flour are used in this recipe which can become stiff if mixed too much.
- Double check if the bread is done in the oven by inserting a toothpick into the center of the bread. If the toothpick comes out clean, the bread it done. If some residual batter is on the toothpick, the bread needs a few more minutes to bake.
- Use parchment paper in your loaf pan for easy removal once baked.
- Wait until the bread has cooled down so it’s warm to the touch before slicing into it. The bread will continue to cook and set up once it’s out of the oven so waiting will ensure clean cut slices of banana bread.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Healthy Variations
This gluten free healthy chocolate chip banana bread recipe can be made entirely nut-free with a simple swaps. Here is the recipe for nut-free banana bread:
- 3 overripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup sunflower butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate chips
To make, simply follow the same steps outlined in this recipe and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown on top.
How to store Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
The optimal way to store this gluten free chocolate chip banana bread is in an airtight container in the fridge where it will keep for up to a week. Because it's made with natural ingredients, the coolness of the fridge will keep it the freshest. However, it will stay good left out on the counter in an airtight container for about 4 days as well.
Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Bread FAQ
I have not tried this recipe with another type of flour and I highly recommend using coconut flour. It provides a little fluffiness to the bread so it's not super dense. If you do use a different flour and find that it works, feel free to let me know!
Yes! This recipe will make about 8 - 10 muffins. You will want to reduce the baking time to 15 - 20 minutes. Still insert a toothpick into the middle of a muffin to make sure that it comes out clean which means it's done!
Make sure to store the banana bread properly to keep it moist and soft. I recommend using a container with a lid to store it or wrapping it tightly with saran wrap.
Yes, this gluten free chocolate chip banana bread is made with paleo ingredients. Make sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips if you are wanting to make your banana bread paleo.
Yes. In general, bananas can be VERY ripe and still be good for banana bread. You can use spoty, brown, and even black bananas. What you don’t want it a banana that is oozing liquid and is about to or already has gone bad.
If the banana bread isn’t cooked all the way though, it will fall once it’s cooled down.
Looking for more bakery-style treats? Check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- 3 overripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup almond butter - any nut butter will work
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips - plus more to sprinkle on top if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a bowl or on a plate, mash up the bananas with the back of fork. There should be no large chunks left.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat together the eggs, almond butter, and vanilla until smooth. Add the mashed bananas and mix to incorporate. There may be small little clumps of banana in the batter which is okay.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder to the bowl and fold until no flour clumps remain.
- Pour the batter into a lined 8 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle some additional chocolate chips over top if desired and bake for 40 - 45 minutes until the top is golden brown and you can insert a toothpick into the center of the bread and it comes out clean.
- Sprinkle some sea salt flakes over the loaf while it's warm and then let it cool before cutting into slices.