Post updated 9/10/2020. Originally published 3/6/2019.
This paleo chocolate chip banana bread is made with wholesome ingredients like bananas, almond butter, and coconut flour. Its so incredibly delicious it's hard to imagine it's paleo and gluten-free. Each slice is moist and fluffy and loaded with chocolate chips!
Why you need this chocolate chip banana bread
If you're like me and have a horrible tendency to over buy bananas and don't eat them before they turn brown, this recipe is for YOU! This gluten-free banana bread is the perfect way to use up old bananas. It's made with only a few simple pantry staples and has no added sugar - just good ole fashion bananas!
What you need to Make Gluten-free Banana Bread
What I love most about this recipe is that I tend to already have the ingredients on hand. Here is what you need to whip up a batch at home:
Baking Powder & Baking Soda
How to Make Paleo Banana Bread
This banana bread can be made in one bowl, all you need is a hand-mixer and a loaf pan!
- Mix the wet ingredients - Beat the overripe bananas, eggs, nut butter, and vanilla until the mixture is creamy. You may still have a couple lumps of banana and that's a-okay
- Add the dry ingredients - Add the coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt and continue to mix until the flour is well incorporated. Be careful not to over mix
- Stir in the chocolate chips - I love using a combination of mini chocolate chips and chunks in this banana bread (this brand is my favorite - they're vegan and paleo-friendly). This way every bite is sure to have some mini chocolate chips in it but every so often you get a large chunk!
- Bake in oven - This paleo banana bread is best made in an 8 or 9 inch loaf pan. Make sure the pan is either greased with oil like coconut oil or lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle
Paleo Banana Bread Tips and FAQs
I have not tried this recipe with another type of flour and I highly recommend using coconut flour. It provides a little fluffiness to the bread so it's not super dense. If you do use a different flour and find that it works, feel free to let me know!
Yes! This recipe will make about 8 - 10 muffins. You will want to reduce the baking time to 15 - 20 minutes. Still insert a toothpick into the middle of a muffin to make sure that it comes out clean which means it's done!
The optimal way to store this banana bread is in an airtight container in the fridge. Because it's made with natural ingredients, the coolness of the fridge will keep it the freshest. However, it will stay good left out on the counter in an airtight container for about 3 days.
Any nut butter will work in this recipe. You can even do a seed butter if you're allergic to nuts! The creamy style nut butters work best.
More recipes you're sure to love!
- Gluten-free Zucchini Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
- Gluten-free Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
- Healthy Chocolate Marbled Banana Bread
- 3 overripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup almond butter (any nut butter will work)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- dash of sea salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips and/or chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a separate bowl with a hand mixer, beat the bananas, eggs, almond butter, and vanilla together until the bananas are well mashed
- Fold in the coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt and mix until no flour lumps remain. Add the chocolate chips and mix with a spatula
- Pour batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper or greased with oil. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted in the middle and it comes out clean
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days
Keywords: Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, Gluten-fee Banana Bread, Healthy Banana Bread