Simplify your breakfast with these savory ricotta cheese egg bites! They're supremely fluffy with chopped pepper and onions throughout (just like Starbucks) and baked to perfection in the oven with a muffin tin. Whip up this recipe before your week and enjoy an easy quick breakfast all week long!
These ricotta egg bites are the perfect on-the-go breakfast that are sure to fill you up after a packed morning. They also make prime protein-filled snack to pack in your lunch bag. They are hand held little pieces of heaven that have solved many of my morning problems!
- Eggs - Pasture-raised eggs are my favorite. You just can't beat that bright orange yolk! However, any large eggs will work in this ricotta egg bites recipe.
- Ricotta cheese - This is whisked into the eggs so they're extra fluffy. If dairy-free, feel free to swap in a vegan ricotta cheese.
- Almond milk - Used to provide some creaminess to the ricotta egg bites. Any type of low-fat milk will work.
Step by step directions
These ricotta egg bites are a breeze to make. You'll be so pleased with yourself the next morning when you wake up and have a big batch of tasty egg bites on hand too!
Step 1 : Whisk together the ricotta and almond milk
First, whisk the ricotta and almond milk together in a mixing bowl. This can be done with a stiff whisk or the back of a fork. Mix well until the almond milk is fully incorporated. The mixture should be slightly thick at this point.
Step 2 : Whisk eggs
In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs well to break up the yolks. It's important to use a large mixing bowl as this is the bowl that will hold all the ingredients.
Step 3 : Fold in remaining ingredients
Next, fold in the ricotta cheese mixture along with the chopped peppers, onions, sea salt, and garlic powder. Mix well to incorporate.
Step 4 : Fill muffin tin and bake
Grease a muffin tin with oil and fill each cavity with the egg batter leaving just a bit of room. Bake in the oven until the ricotta egg bites are set. You should be able to gently press on each egg muffin and it feel firm. Let cool before removing from the pan.
Fun news! These ricotta egg bites can easily be customized to your specific preference. Here are a few additions and swaps I recommend:
- Add some ground turkey to the batter to make these ricotta egg bites extra protein packed!
- Double up on veggies and add some sautéed mushrooms and broccoli.
- Throw in some cooked sweet potato pieces (similar to my breakfast egg muffins) to provide some healthy carbs and makes these more filling.
The best way to store these egg bites with ricotta cheese in an airtight container in the fridge. When ready to enjoy, simply warm them up in the microwave for 20 - 30 seconds until warm to the touch.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, this recipe can be made completely dairy-free by substituting the ricotta cheese for a vegan ricotta.
Yes you can easily make these egg white bites by swapping the eggs with 2 cups of egg whites.
Yes these ricotta egg bites are perfect for meal prep! Make them as directed and store them in an air-tight container in the fridge until ready to enjoy. Warm them up in the microwave for 20 - 30 seconds before serving.
First, make sure to really grease your pan or use a silicone muffin pan to make things easier. You will also want to wait until the muffins have cooled down before removing. Run a knife around the muffins to pull them out of the tin.
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
For more quick breakfast ideas, check out my:
Ricotta Cheese Egg Bites with Peppers and Onion
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup ricotta cheese - part skim
- ¼ cup almond milk - plain and unsweetened
- ¼ cup green bell pepper - diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper - diced
- ¼ cup onion - diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Pepper to top - optional
- Preheat oven 350F. In a small bowl, whisk together the ricotta cheese and almond milk until creamy. The mixture should be slightly thick; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs well to break up the yolks.
- Add the ricotta mixture to the bowl with the eggs along with the diced pepper, onions, sea salt, and garlic powder. Fold to incorporate all of the mix-ins.
- Grease a muffin tin with oil and fill each cavity almost all the way full with the egg batter. Bake in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes until the egg bites are fluffy. You should be able to gently press the egg bites and they feel semi firm.
- Let the ricotta egg bites cool slightly before running a knife around the muffin to pull it out of the tin. Top with some fresh cracked pepper and enjoy!