These creamy cauliflower mashed potatoes will give even the best mashed potato recipe a run for its money. They are deliciously smooth, a healthy alternative to the classic, and loaded with garlic, chive, and buttery flavors. Made in an Instant Pot, they come together in no time at all and make the perfect holiday side dish. Easily made dairy free and Whole30 too.
- Made gluten free and nut free with vegan, dairy free, and Whole30 options
- Easily customizable
- Healthy alternative to mashed potatoes
- Minimal clean up
- Made in 20 minutes
- Make the perfect healthy holiday side dish
- Kid approved
Ingredients and notes
- Cauliflower - A large fresh cauliflower head is best. If you use bagged cauliflower, you will need 3 cups. Be sure to trim the stems of the cauliflower before cooking.
- Vegetable broth - Chose low sodium if you can. Chicken broth, beef broth, or bone broth can be used as a substitute.
- Butter - High qualify grass-fed butter is best. Substitute with vegan butter if dairy free or vegan. You can also use ghee for a paleo option.
Step by step directions
This healthy cauliflower mash can be made in no time. You will need an Instant Pot or a large pot of water and a food processor or high speed blender or immersion blender.
Step 1 : Cook cauliflower florets
Place the cauliflower florets in the Instant Pot along with the vegetable broth and chopped garlic.
Secure the top on the Instant Pot and use the manual setting to cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. Once it's done, use the quick release valve to release the pressure.
Step 2 : Blend
Use a slotted spoon or ladle to place the cooked cauliflower florets into a food processor or blender. The florets should be soft and damp. Discard any excess broth left behind in the Instant Pot.
Add the garlic powder, pepper, sea salt, and butter to the mixer. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. This will take a minute or two. Scrape down the sides if needed to make sure there are no clumps and lumps - we want a silky smooth consistency!
How to serve
Spoon the healthy cauliflower mash to a serving bowl while still warm. Snip the chives into small pieces over the bowl and top with an additional slice of butter if desired.
Here are a few of the many ways to pair the mashed cauliflower:
- Serve alongside my Whole30 turkey meatballs
- Add to your Thanksgiving or Holiday dinner table as a side dish
- Sprinkle some turkey bacon and/or bread crumbs over top for some added crunch
- Use underneath a baked chicken breast for a cozy meal
- Pair with baked salmon
Making with an immersion blender
If you don't have a food processor, you can use an immersion blender. Simply drain the excess broth and water from the inside of the instant pot then add the spices and butter and blend well with the immersion blender.
You will want to make up and down hand movements to break up all the florets. Keep blending until it's nice and creamy and serve as directed.
Making ahead of time
This Instant Pot cauliflower mash can be made ahead of time. Prepare them as directed and let the cool down. Then transfer them to an airtight container and store in the fridge where they will keep for 4 days.
Heat on the stove or in the microwave when ready to enjoy and serve accordingly.
Frequently asked questions
Make sure to use a slotted spoon or ladle to transfer the cooked cauliflower from the Instant Pot to the blender. You want the florets to be soft so they blend well but excess liquid will make them watery.
Allow the mash to cool down all the way before storing in an airtight container. This will help reduce condensation which can add water the dish. Store in the fridge where they will keep for 4 days. Heat in a pot on the stove or in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
If you don't cook the cauliflower through so it's nice and soft, it will be grainy when you blend it up. It also could be grainy if you don't blend it enough. These aren't mashed potatoes so you can blend for as long as it takes to get them nice and creamy.
For more savory dishes, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Healthy Garlic and Chive Instant Pot Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- 1 head cauliflower - large, chopped into florets
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder - chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt - plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoon butter - sub. vegan butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon chives - finely chopped
- Place the cauliflower florets in an Instant Pot along with the chopped garlic cloves and vegetable broth. Secure the top on the Instant Pot and use the manual setting to cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. Once it's done, use the quick release valve to release the pressure.
- Use a slotted spoon or ladle to place the cooked cauliflower florets into a food processor or blender. The florets should be soft and damp. Discard any excess broth left behind in the Instant Pot. Add the garlic powder, pepper, sea salt, and butter to the mixer. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. This will take a minute or two. Scrape down the sides if needed to make sure there are no clumps and lumps.
- Spoon the mashed cauliflower into a serving bowl and sprinkle the chives over top along with ½ tablespoon butter if desired.
Leave a Reply