This Almond Flour Coffee Cake post originally published 10/16/2019. Updated 10/23/2020.
Deliciously tasty almond flour coffee cake with a healthy spin! This breakfast cake is light and airy cake with swirls of cinnamon in the middle, topped with crumbles of cinnamon strudel, and a generous drizzle of coconut butter icing. In other words, it has it ALL.
Paleo Almond Flour Coffee Cake
I’ve been on the hunt for a healthy version of the beloved coffee cake for a long time. I grew up in a coffee cake loving household. So much so, that we bake about 15 coffee cakes every year and give them away as Christmas gifts to our family friends. We ❤️ coffee cake.
We typically keep it simple and go with a boxed mix because, well, our house isn’t a full service bakery and we try to churn out these cakes in an afternoon. But because homemade coffee just hits different, I finally landed on the best paleo coffee cake!
This coffee cakes makes the perfect simple breakfast paired with some fresh fruit and warm coffee. With the holidays coming up it, it also makes the best addition to your favorite brunch spread. Trust me when I say this thing will be the hit of the table!
Ingredients you need to make this almond flour based coffee cake
You only need a few simple gluten-free pantry staples to whip up this warm and cozy coffee cake in the morning:
- Coconut milk + Apple cider vinegar - also known as 'vegan butter milk'. Make sure your coconut milk is full fat to give this coffee cake the moisture is needs to become light and fluffy!
- Eggs - room temperature eggs are best!
- Maple syrup & Vanilla - both of these provide a tough of sweetness to the cake
- Almond flour + Tapioca flour - the combination of almond flour and tapioca flour makes up the base of the cake. Both ensure the cake is super fluffy
- Baking powder + Baking soda - both are used to make sure the cake rises properly
- Easy cinnamon strudel - this is made with a bit of almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and melted coconut oil
- Coconut butter - to drizzle on top!
How to make this coffee cake
- First, prepare the cinnamon strudel. It's best to make this first so it has time to rest before being sprinkled in the coffee cake. The extra time allows the delicious clumps to solidify.
- Next, make the "vegan buttermilk" and set aside. Beat the eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup together. Add the "vegan buttermilk" and continue to mix.
- Slowly fold in the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until no flour clumps remain.
- Pour half the batter into an 8 X 8 baking pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon filling evenly over top. Repeat with the remaining batter and cinnamon mixture and bake.
- While still warm, drizzle melted coconut butter over top then slice and serve!