This soft and tender confetti dairy-free coffee cake is sure to add a little bit of fun to your next brunch! It's complete with a moist gluten-free cake base, crumbly streusel topping, and drizzle of coconut butter and sprinkles to finish it off! This recipe is so simple to make and comes together in under an hour!
Coffee cake is the quintessential brunch staple. The perfect excuse to eat cake for breakfast if you ask me! And we're huge fans over here at TFP with this gluten-free cinnamon coffee cake and this fruity blueberry coffee cake already on the blog.
But you know what makes coffee cake even better - SPRINKLES. So, without further ado, let me introduce you to this confetti dairy-free coffee cake! I mean who doesn't want to take a bite of a moist and soft cake filled with sprinkles and streusel while sipping on a mimosa? That sounds like my perfect Sunday morning.
Ingredients and substitutions
To make this confetti dairy-free coffee cake, you need just a few ingredients.
- King Arthur Gluten-free Confetti Cake Mix - This is the base of the dairy-free coffee cake. King Arthur has worked hard on revamping their line of gluten-free mixes and this one does not disappoint! It's used in both the coffee cake and the streusel so it's like a 2 for 1!
- Almond milk - Used as the liquid in the coffee cake. Any dairy-free milk will work in this recipe. Unsweetened and plain flavored is best.
- Vegan butter - This goes into the streusel. Room temperature softened vegan butter is best. If needed, solid coconut oil can be substituted.
- Coconut butter - Melted and drizzled over top of the dairy-free coffee cake. This part is optional. You can also use a simple powdered sugar icing glaze over top.
Step by step directions
All you need to make this dairy-free coffee cake is a small bowl for the streusel, mixing bowl, and a springform or cake pan.
Step 1 : Prepare the streusel
First, prepare the streusel in a small bowl. Simple add the vegan butter cubes and ½ cup of the confetti cake mix and mix to incorporate. This is best done with the back of fork. Press the softened butter into the flour mix until the mixture resembles chunky sand.
Place the bowl in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the dairy-free coffee cake. This allows the butter to chill and create little clumps of delicious streusel.
Step 2 : Whisk together the wet ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the eggs, coconut oil, and almond milk until well mixed. This is best done with a whisk or a hand mixer.
Step 3 : Fold in the dry ingredients
Next, add the rest of the confetti cake mix to the bowl and stir until no flour clumps remain. Be sure not to over mix this step to prevent extra air in the batter. The consistency should be slightly thick and runny.
Step 4 : Pour into pan
Line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease the sides with oil. A regular cake pan will work as well, it just may be a little more difficult to remove once baked. Pour the batter into the pan. Tap it on the counter lightly a few times to remove any air bubbles and level it off.
Step 5 : Top with streusel
Sprinkle the streusel over top of the batter in an even layer. Bake in the oven until golden. You can test to make sure it's done by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, it's done. If there is some batter stuck on the toothpick, it still needs a few more minutes in the oven.
Allow the dairy-free coffee cake to cool slightly before removing it from the pan. If you used a cake pan for this recipe, you can serve it inside of the pan.
Step 6 : Drizzle with melted coconut butter
While the coffee cake is cooling down, melt the coconut butter. This is best done in a double boiler. The indirect heat will melt the coconut butter effortlessly. You can also use a skillet on low heat and melt the coconut butter with an extra tablespoon of coconut oil. Stir until glossy.
Drizzle the melted coconut butter over top of the dairy-free coffee cake, serve, and enjoy!
To store this confetti dairy-free coffee cake, place it in an airtight container either sliced or unsliced. A cake container like this one will also work. The cake will keep fresh for up to 5 days out on the counter or a week when stored in the fridge.
When ready to enjoy, warm a slice up in the microwave in 15 second intervals until warm to the tough.
Frequently asked questions
It's now available at most large grocery stores. You can check your specific area here to see what stores around you carry it.
I personally used almond milk in this recipe but any dairy-free milk will work as well. Unsweetened and unflavored work best so the sweet taste of the confetti cake mix can shine through!
Yes, a simple powdered sugar icing is the best alternative. Simply mix together ½ cp powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon almond milk and stir until thin. Drizzle over top of the coffee cake. You can also omit the icing all together.
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
To complete your brunch spread, check out my:
Confetti Dairy-free Coffee Cake
- 1 box King Arthur Gluten-free Confetti Mix - divided
- ⅓ cup vegan butter - softened (or grass-fed butter)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut oil - melted and cooled
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ½ cup coconut butter - melted (for the icing, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. For the streusel, chop the softened vegan butter up into chunks and add to a small bowl with ½ cup of the King Arthur Gluten-free Confetti Mix. With a fork, mash the flour into the butter until it resembles thick chunky sand. Place the bowl in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the coffee cake.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, coconut oil, and almond milk until well mixed. Fold in the remaining King Arthur Gluten-free Confetti Mix into the batter. Be sure not to over mix this step.
- Pour the batter into a 9-inch cake pan or springform pan lined with parchment paper and greased with oil. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over top of the batter evenly. Bake in the oven for 40 - 50 minutes until golden on top. Check to make sure it's done by inserting a toothpick in the middle to see if it comes out clean.
- Melt the coconut butter, drizzle over top of the coffee cake, slice, and enjoy!