These vegan rice krispie treats are crunchy and gooey with a healthy dose of sprinkles! These fun-filled squares are an elevated twist on the old time favorite and easiest no-bake treat on the block. Made with only 5 ingredients, this recipe is quick and simple making it the perfect idea to whip up with kids!
Sprinkles are always a good idea (like on top of my cake batter Lily's peanut butter cups). I like to say one of my many life mottos is 'when in doubt, add sprinkles'. It has yet to steer me wrong.
The word funfetti already brightens my day but then you throw a rice krispie treat in the mix and you can consider my world officially rocked. I LOVE a good old fashion rice krispie treat. They're ooey and crunchy and the perfect amount of messy to make you feel care-free. Adding a splash of vanilla and a dash of sprinkles makes this classic treat that much better.
Although we already elevate this classic recipe with a splash of color, we also use wholesome natural ingredients to make these treats the epitome of elegant. Here's what you need to make these funfetti rice krispie treats:
- Vegan butter - Used to help melt the marshmallows and provide a touch of buttery flavor. Substitute with coconut oil is needed.
- Vegan marshmallows - I used this brand but any vegan marshmallow will work for this recipe. Keep in mind vegan marshmallows melt a little differently than the typical marshmallow.
- Brown rice cereal - Nature's Path is what I used in this recipe. Unfortunately Kellog's Rice Krispies are not vegan (and the ingredient list is very lengthy). One Degree Organics and Whole Foods 365 Brown Rice Cereal (not certified gluten-free) are also great puffed rice cereal options.
Step by step directions
Let's make these vegan funfetti rice krispie treats! All you need is a large pot and a stove to get started.
Step 1 : Melt the butter and marshmallows
First, melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Then add the vegan marshmallows and stir until they have melted.
Vegan marshmallows don't melt like traditional marshmallows. You will find they melt into a large, for lack of a better word, blob. This is okay! They still make for a really delicious rice krispie treat!
Keep stirring the marshmallows over medium heat until each one has melted. There should be no chunks of marshmallows left. See below image for reference.
Step 2 : Stir in the vanilla
Remove the pot from the element and stir in the vanilla extract. Do this while the marshmallows are still warm. Because the marshmallows are more of a "blob", you will need to fold the marshmallows on top of each other to disburse the vanilla.
Step 3 : Add the rice cereal
Next, add the brown rice cereal to the pot. Again, you will want to fold the cereal into the melted marshmallows. Keep doing this until each piece of cereal is attached to the large ball of marshmallow
This step is best done while the marshmallows are still warm and you will want to work fast to incorporate the cereal into the marshmallows
Step 4 : Add the sprinkles
Finally mix the sprinkles into the rice krispies. To do this, sprinkle as you fold the rice krispie mixture on top of itself. This is important and prevents the sprinkles from congealing in one spot. Don't go overboard as you can always add some more on top.
Step 5 : Press into pan
Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper and press the vegan rice krispie treat mixture into the pan. I like to use my hands to do this as the mixture will stick to a rubber spatula.
Make sure it's as level and even as possible so your rice krspie treats don't turn out lopsided. If desired, sprinkle some additional sprinkles over top!
Let it set in the fridge for about half an hour or out on the counter for an hour before slicing into squares.
To store these funfetti rice krispie treats, slice them into squares and place them in an airtight container. They will keep for up to a week!
You can store them in the fridge but they will need to sit out for a few minutes to soften before you bite into one.
There are so many ways to customize these rice krispie treats to make them your own! Here are a few recommendations:
- Melt about ⅓ cup peanut butter or cashew butter with the marshmallow to add a peanut butter flavor to these rice krispie treats
- Once the rice krispies have been pressed into the pan, pour some melted chocolate over top
- Add some dairy free caramel along with the melted marshmallow to make these salted caramel rice krispie treats
Frequently asked questions
The generic rice krispie treat is not vegan due to the marshmallows and maybe some butter. There are a few vegan rice krispie recipes out there (like this one!) that use vegan-friendly ingredients to make the classic treat.
No, unfortunately Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats are not vegan due to a non-vegan vitamin D. Nature's Path's cereal is vegan and is what I used in this recipe. One Degree Organics also has a great rice cereal as well as Whole Foods' 365 Brown Rice Crisps.
No,Annie's Rice Crispy Treats are not vegan due to butter used in the recipe.
Vegan marshmallows do melt but not like traditional marshmallows. Instead they melt into somewhat of a large blob which is still great for making vegan rice kripsie treats!
I used Dandies in this recipe and have also heard great things about the Trader Joe's brand.
My next favorite thing to use is peanut butter or cashew butter. These no-bake chocolate coated oat bars resemble a rice krispie treat but don't have marshmallows.
- You need to work quick with these rice krispie treats. Once the marshmallows melt and the cereal has been added to the pot, you will want to stir quickly before the marshmallows start to firm up.
- If you really want to make sure these rice krispie treats are vegan, be sure to read the ingredients of the marshmallows and cereal you use. Kellog's Rice Krispies are not vegan so check out other brown rice cereals like Nature's Path.
- To get clean edges on your rice krispies, press the mixture firmly into the pan so it's packed in well. Then make sure to chill them in the fridge for a bit so the marshmallows can cool down. Use a sharp knife to cut into squares.
For more no-bake fun, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Funfetti Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the vegan marshmallows and stir until they have melted. Keep in mind, vegan marshmallows don't melt like traditional marshmallows. You will find they melt into a large blob. This is okay! Just keep stirring until each marshmallow is melted.
- Remove the pot from the stove and add the vanilla. Make sure to do this while the marshmallows are still warm.
- Add the brown rice cereal to the pot and fold into the melted marshmallows. Keep doing this until each piece of cereal is attached to the large ball of marshmallow.
- Mix the sprinkles into the rice krispies. To do this, sprinkle as you fold the rice krispie mixture on top of itself. This is important and prevents the sprinkles from congealing in one spot. Don't go overboard as you can always add some more on top.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper and press the vegan rice krispie treat mixture into the pan. I like to use my hands to do this as the mixture will stick to a rubber spatula. If desired, sprinkle some additional sprinkles over top!
- Let it set in the fridge for about half an hour or out on the counter for an hour before slicing into squares.