Made with just 6 budget-friendly ingredients, these cinnamon sugar roasted chickpeas are crisp, crunchy, and utterly irresistible. Packed with plant-based protein and fiber, they’re a better-for-you snack guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth. Enjoy them on their own, added to yogurt bowls, trail mix, salads, and more!
Elevate your snacking game with these roasted chickpeas! Bold in flavor and satisfyingly crunchy, they’re an easy, affordable recipe that’s fun to make and even more fun to eat. Featuring rich coconut oil, sweet sugar, and warm spices, they provide an explosion of flavor in every bite.
Think flavor-blasted goldfish with a healthy twist. These crispy chickpeas are so tasty even your little ones won’t be able to resist! Trust me when I say you’ll want to keep a batch on hand at all times for snacks on-the-go. They’re a lifesaver when hanger hits!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and vegan
- Uses just 6 pantry staple ingredients
- Bakes in 30 minutes or less
- The perfect balance of sugar and spice
- Stores well to enjoy throughout the week
Ingredients & Notes
- Chickpeas - Also known as garbanzo beans, these form the base of the recipe. Be sure to drain them and pat them completely dry.
- Oil - I used melted coconut oil, but any neutral oil like olive oil or avocado oil can be used.
- Sugar - This is how we sweeten the roasted chickpeas. I like to use coconut sugar, but brown sugar or regulated granulated sugar would work, too.
- Spices - Cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of sea salt balance out the sugar, adding warmth and just a hint of spice.
These roasted chickpeas are the easiest homemade snack you’ll ever make! All you’ll need is a clean towel, a baking sheet, parchment paper, and a large bowl.
Step 1: Prepare the chickpeas. Drain the chickpeas, and use a towel to dry them completely. Then, go the extra mile, using a paper towel to dry them further and remove some of the skins. This yileds the most crispy chickpeas you’ll ever taste.
Step 2: Bake and season. In a large bowl, toss the chickpeas with the melted coconut oil. Then, spread them out in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place them in the oven until they’re golden brown and crispy.
In the meantime, whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, and set them aside.
Step 3: Toss the ingredients. Pour the roasted chickpeas into a bowl while they’re still hot. Add the spice mixture, and toss well to coat.
Step 4: Enjoy. Let the roasted crunchy chickpeas cool completely. Then, use them for snacking, to add flavor to all your favorite meals, spruce up homemade trail mix, and more!
- Make sure the chickpeas are as dry as possible. Use a kitchen towel or paper towel to rub them alongside a flat surface to remove any excess moisture. The dryer the chickpeas, the crispier they will get in the oven.
- If you want to go the extra mile and remove the skins from the chickpeas, this will make them even crispier when roasted. Pinch the chickpeas in between your fingers to remove the skins.
- Toss the roasted chickpeas with the seasonings while they are piping hot right out of the oven. The heat from the chickpeas will allow the spices to coat them effortlessly.
How to Serve
Allow the crunchy chickpeas to cool down with the spices before serving. They will get even crispier as they cool down to room temperature.
Here are a few fun ways to enjoy these crispy chickpeas:
- Alone as a quick snack
- Toss with popcorn, pretzels, nuts, or other crunchy munchies to make your own snack mix
- Use as a garnish to a fruity salad
How to Store
Store the cooled roasted chickpeas in an airtight container or bag. They will keep for up to 4 days out on the counter or a week in the fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Make sure there is no moisture on the chickpeas before roasting them in the oven. They can turn out chewy if they aren’t dry enough. You also want to keep them in the oven long enough so they turn a golden brown color. I have found this typically takes somewhere between 25 - 30 minutes depending on your oven.
Chickpeas are a great source of plant protein and contain many extra vitamins and minerals that are good for you!
I recommend using canned chickpeas which have been soaked in the can. Then, all you have to do is drain them and dry them well before roasting.
for more easy snacks, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!,
Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 Sheet Pan
- 30 oz chickpeas - drained and patted dried* (2 15 oz cans)
- 2 tablespoon oil - melted (I used coconut oil but any neutral oil will work)
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar - or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 F. While the oven is preheating, drain and dry the chickpeas with a towel really well. You want the chickpeas to be extremely dry so they can crispen up in the oven. I like to rub them with a paper towel which will remove some of the skins too. You can remove all of the skins by hand to achieve super crispy chickpeas but this is optional.
- In a large bowl, toss the dried chickpeas with the melted coconut oil. Spread the chickpeas out into an even layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the chickpeas in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown and crispy. While the chickpeas are cooking, mix together the coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- While the chickpeas are still piping hot, pour them into a bowl and sprinkle the seasonings over top. Toss well to coat. The spices will effortlessly bind to the hot chickpeas.
- Let the chickpeas cool down, serve, and enjoy. As the chickpeas cool, they will become even more crispy.