Everything you love about s'mores, without all the mess and fuss, in a cute handheld pie form. Complete with an easy graham cracker crust, dark chocolate fudge, and melted gooey marshmallows, these these mini s'mores pies can be made in under 30 minutes and make the perfect summer treat! Made gluten free and dairy free!
Why I Love This Recipe
Nothing makes me feel more nostalgic than a gooey ooey s'more. Summer isn't complete without this standard American dessert so I made these mini s'mores pies which have all the flavors of the campfire treat, without the mess of traditional s’mores. I even took it a step further and made these gluten free and dairy free with vegan options so everyone can join in on the s'mores fun! It's the best way to enjoy a s'more if you ask me.
The standard mini smores pie found on the internet consists of pre-made mini Kebbler graham cracker miniature pie crusts, Hershey's chocolate bars, and marshmallows. Some even use a kitchen torch to melt the marshmallows! I want something a little more elevated, still utterly delicious and simple to make, and something baked in the oven. And that's just what we did!
Each one has a homemade buttery graham cracker crust, a layer of creamy and smooth fudge-like dark chocolate mousse, and finished with a pile of golden brown toasted mini marshmallows. They're the perfect size for large gatherings, backyard bbqs, and the kids will love them!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Graham crackers - Used to make the crust of the mini pies. I used Simple Mills honey cinnamon sweet thins which taste just like graham crackers and are gluten free. Any type of graham cracker will work though.
- Coconut oil - Just a little is melted and mixed into the crushed up graham cracker crumbs to create the crust. Substitute with melted butter or vegan butter.
- Dark chocolate chips - The base of the fudgy chocolate layer. I used a dairy free chocolate brand. Any type of chocolate will work, milk, semi-sweet, your favorite chocolate bars, etc.
- Coconut cream - This is the thick cream on top of a can of coconut milk. It's melted into the chocolate to create a thick fudge-like consistency. You can either use the cream in a can of full-fat coconut milk or use a can of pure coconut cream. No, your mini s'mores pies won't taste like coconut. Substitute with heavy cream if needed.
- Mini marshmallows - Piled on top of the chocolate layer and baked until golden to create that toasted marshmallow flavor. Regular or vegan mini marshmallows will work. You can use large marshmallows too but I recommend cutting only 1 in half and using that on top.
How to Make Mini S'mores Pies
This easy dessert is so simple to make. You will need a food processor or blender (or a strong ziplock bag) to make the graham cracker crust, a small saucepan to melt the chocolate, and mini tart pans to assemble the pies. You can also use silicone muffin liners in a muffin pan if you don't have mini tart pans.
Step 1 : Make the mini graham cracker crusts. Place your graham crackers in a food processor with the melted coconut oil and pulse until the crackers resemble fine crumbs. The crushed up crackers should be slightly wet and stick together when you press some together tightly between your fingers. If it's not sticking together, add another teaspoon or two of melted coconut oil.
Spoon the crushed graham crackers into the tart pans and press down tightly all along the bottom and up the sides. Make sure the bottom is on the thicker side as this is what it going to hold up all the ingredients. Place the tart pans on a baking sheet and set off to the side.
Step 2 : Prepare the chocolate fudge. I use the same chocolate ganache filling in my oatmeal fudge bars. I love it because it's so simple to make and creates a silky smooth creamy chocolate filling. To make it, just melt the dark chocolate with the coconut cream over medium heat until the chocolate is melted. Stir consistently to prevent burning. The chocolate should be slightly thick and smooth and glossy.
Spoon about 2 tablespoon of the fudge into the mini graham cracker pie crusts. Tap each pan on a hard surface to help level off the chocolate layer.
Step 3 : Top with marshmallows and bake. Sprinkle the mini marshmallows on top of the chocolate layer. I like to leave a little bit of the chocolate peeping through. Bake the tarts in the oven, while on top of the cookie sheet, until the marshmallows are golden brown and puffy.
Now for the hard part...let the mini s’mores pies set for at least 30 minutes before digging in. This allows the chocolate layer to solidify into a creamy fudgy consistency. If you want more of a messy melted chocolate and hot marshmallows s'more though, then feel free to dig right in!
How to Serve and Store
Enjoy these easy s’mores pies after they set or while still warm if you prefer the melted chocolate style. Serve on a dessert plate with a spoon and enjoy!
To store, place the pies in an airtight container where they will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge or 3 days on the counter.
- Make sure to crush up the graham crackers really well into fine crumbs. The smaller crumbs stick together more easily into the pie mold. Remember to add in a little more melted coconut oil if needed to ensure the crumbs stick together.
- Watch the chocolate closely when melting it. Chocolate can seize up quickly when it gets too hot. Stir regularly so the chocolate doesn't burn and remove the pan from the element when the chocolate is 80% melted.
- Don't spread the chocolate into the graham cracker curst but instead spoon a few dollops inside and tap the crust on the pan to level off the chocolate. If you try to spread the chocolate you may mess up the graham cracker crust and pull some of the crumbs off.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes this recipe can be made in a 9-inch tart pan using the same directions described in the recipe card below, however, it will need to cook a little longer. I recommend checking on the pie after 14 minutes to see if it needs a little more time in the oven.
If you use dairy free chocolate (like these), this recipe is completely dairy free.
For more summer sweet treats, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Easy Mini S'mores Pies
- 1 ½ cups graham crackers - approx. 6 oz
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil - melted (substitute with butter or vegan butter)
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 cup mini marshmallows - regular or vegan
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a food processor, crush up the graham crackers with the melted coconut oil until the crackers are fine crumbs. The crumbs should stick together when you press some together with your fingers. If not, add another teaspoon or two of melted coconut oil. Press the crumbs along the bottom and sides of 6 mini tart pans. Pay special attention to the bottom and make sure there is a good thick base on the bottom as this is what will hold up the rest of the pie layers. Place the mini tart pans on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Prepare the chocolate fudge by melting the dark chocolate and coconut cream together in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted to prevent burning. The chocolate should be slightly thick and glossy. Spoon about 2 tablespoon of the chocolate into each mini crust. Don’t spread the chocolate. Instead simply tap the pan on a hard surface to level off the chocolate.
- Sprinkle a handful of mini marshmallows over top of the chocolate and bake the mini pies in the oven at 350 F for 10 - 12 minutes until the marshmallows are golden brown on top. Let the pies cool for at least 30 minutes before digging in so the chocolate layer sets into a fudge-like consistency. If you prefer melted chocolate, then feel free to dig right in!