If you like chocolate, these chocolate cookies right up your ally! They are fudgy as all get out and will cure any chocolate sweet tooth with just the first bite. These brownie cookies have a glorious crinkly top with chocolate chunks scattered throughout. They're made with wholesome natural ingredients (including a boat load of chocolate)!
There are chocolate chip cookies and there are oatmeal cookies and then there are double chocolate chunk brownie cookies. As someone known for their love of all things chocolate, I'll go for the chocolate overload cookie any time. These cookies do not disappoint - they have irresistible crispy edges with a melt-in-our-mouth gooey fudgy center. Rest assured, they are every chocoholic's dream.
Why these are the ultimate double chocolate cookies?
Yes, I'm dubbing these the ultimate double chocolate cookies and here's just a few reasons why:
- Chocolate chocolate and more chocolate. These cookies have a rich dark chocolate cookie base with BOTH semi-sweet chocolate chunks and dark chocolate chips mixed into the batter
- The texture. Each cookie is the perfect combination of crispy, gooey, and fudgy
- Ingredients. Yes, believe it or not, these cookies are made with natural and wholesome ingredients. I'm not saying these are the healthiest cookie in the world (they are filled with lots of chocolate and coconut sugar), but the ingredient list simple and recognizable
- Easy to make. These cookies are super simple to bake - both a blessing and a curse. All you need is a bowl and a stand-mixer or hand-beater and a skillet to melt the chocolate. Additionally, there is no need to chill the dough and limited clean up, yay!
What you need to make these chocolate brownie cookies
- Dark chocolate
- Semi-sweet chocolate
- Coconut oil
- Coconut sugar
- Almond flour
- Cacao powder
- Baking powder
- Sea salt
How to make brownie cookies
- First, we melt the chocolate. This part is crucial because, well, these are chocolate cookies. I recommend using a combination of dark chocolate and semi-sweet to give the perfect level of richness to these cookies. To do this, place both kinds of chocolate chips in a skillet with coconut oil and place on top of a simmering pot of water. The indirect heat from the water below will melt the chocolate effortlessly. This is my tried-and-true make-shift double-boiler method and I highly recommend it! Let the chocolate cool to lukewarm after melted
- While the chocolate is cooling, beat the eggs, coconut sugar, and vanilla together for at least 5 minutes. This is the key to the crinkly top layer. Use a stand-mixer or a hand-beater, but set it on medium speed and beat until the mixture doubles in size (the coconut sugar crystals should begin to dissolve into the egg mixture too)
- Next, mix in the melted chocolate using your stand-mixer or hand-beater set at low speed. Beat until the chocolate is fully incorporated
- Slowly add in the almond flour, cacao powder, espresso, baking powder, and sea salt and mix on low speed until no flour clumps remain (don't over mix)
- Finally, fold in the reserved chocolate chunks and/or chips. At this point, the batter should be fairly runny. With a cookie scoop, spoon the batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. After that, top with additional chocolate chips and/or chunks if desired and bake for 10 minutes