These delicious paleo brownie ice cream sandwiches are all you need to cool off this summer! With creamy mint chocolate chip ice cream positioned in between two thin pieces of extra fudgy brownie squares, what more could you ask for? Best of all, these chocolate frozen treats are super easy to make right at home!
What Makes These the Ultimate Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches?
Brownie ice cream sandwiches are already the best little chocolate frozen treat but there are a couple things that make these extraordinary:
- The ice cream is vegan and paleo-friendly. Yes, this mint chocolate chip ice cream is completely dairy-free and made with wholesome ingredients. Mint extract provides a delectable minty flavor and the chopped dark chocolate adds a little additional crunch to the mix.
- Fudgy brownies. We use my famous Dark Chocolate Paleo Brownie recipe here. They have an irresistible crinkly top with an extra fudgy texture. No need to double the batch either, we simply make the recipe as is but use a 9 x 13 baking pan instead of a square pan to bake thinner brownies perfect for ice cream sandwiches.
- You just can't beat homemade. The ice cream man's ice cream just isn't the same as baked fresh at home. Yes, these ice cream sandwiches may take some time and effort but trust me, it is SO worth it!
What you Need to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
dark chocolate chips
light coconut milk
sweetened and condensed coconut milk
How to Make the Perfect Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches Every Time
Although the concept is simple, brownie layer then ice cream layer and then another brownie layer, there are a few key tips you should know to ensure the perfect ice cream sandwiches every time:
- Undercook the brownies. This reason for this is two-fold: one, we are baking a thinner brownie so the bake time will be much less than usual and two, we want them slightly underdone so we can freeze them and they won't become hard as bricks. The perfect texture is soft and fudgy.
- Cool and freeze the brownies first. This is very important. Once the brownies come out of the oven, let them cool for a bit before transferring them to the freezer. DO NOT try to cut them in half and spread ice cream on top. The ice cream will melt very quickly and you'll have a glorified mess on your hands. Placing them in the freezer for about 20 minutes allows the brownies to firm up and they are easier to cut.
- Make sure your ice cream is hard. I love slightly melted ice cream just as much as the next person but that's not what we want here. The best ice cream to use for these sandwiches is straight out of the freezer with a texture that is just soft enough to spread with the back of a spoon. If you make your ice cream at home, I recommend making it ahead of time and leaving it in the freezer for an hour or two to really firm up. If you choose to use a store-bough ice cream, spread the ice cream straight out of the freezer.
Storing These Frozen Ice Cream Treats
- To properly store these ice cream sandwiches, you want to slice them into individual squares and then store them. They are easiest to slice when they are freshly frozen
- Place the sandwiches in an air-tight container with a large piece of parchment paper on the bottom. This helps prevent them from freezing to the bottom of the container
- Although it may be obvious, I think it's worth mentioning that these ice cream sandwiches should be stored in the freezer
- They will last up to a month in the freezer!
Looking for more frozen treats? You'll love these!
- Homemade Vegan Peaches & Cream Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
- Chocolate Almond Butter Ice Cream