These delicious paleo brownie ice cream sandwiches are all you need to cool off this summer! With creamy mint chocolate chip ice cream positioned in between two thin pieces of extra fudgy brownie squares, what more could you ask for? Best of all, these chocolate frozen treats are super easy to make right at home!
What Makes These the Ultimate Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches?
Brownie ice cream sandwiches are already the best little chocolate frozen treat but there are a couple things that make these extraordinary:
- The ice cream is vegan and paleo-friendly. Yes, this mint chocolate chip ice cream is completely dairy-free and made with wholesome ingredients. Mint extract provides a delectable minty flavor and the chopped dark chocolate adds a little additional crunch to the mix.
- Fudgy brownies. We use my famous Dark Chocolate Paleo Brownie recipe here. They have an irresistible crinkly top with an extra fudgy texture. No need to double the batch either, we simply make the recipe as is but use a 9 x 13 baking pan instead of a square pan to bake thinner brownies perfect for ice cream sandwiches.
- You just can't beat homemade. The ice cream man's ice cream just isn't the same as baked fresh at home. Yes, these ice cream sandwiches may take some time and effort but trust me, it is SO worth it!
What you Need to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
dark chocolate chips
light coconut milk
sweetened and condensed coconut milk
How to Make the Perfect Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches Every Time
Although the concept is simple, brownie layer then ice cream layer and then another brownie layer, there are a few key tips you should know to ensure the perfect ice cream sandwiches every time:
- Undercook the brownies. This reason for this is two-fold: one, we are baking a thinner brownie so the bake time will be much less than usual and two, we want them slightly underdone so we can freeze them and they won't become hard as bricks. The perfect texture is soft and fudgy.
- Cool and freeze the brownies first. This is very important. Once the brownies come out of the oven, let them cool for a bit before transferring them to the freezer. DO NOT try to cut them in half and spread ice cream on top. The ice cream will melt very quickly and you'll have a glorified mess on your hands. Placing them in the freezer for about 20 minutes allows the brownies to firm up and they are easier to cut.
- Make sure your ice cream is hard. I love slightly melted ice cream just as much as the next person but that's not what we want here. The best ice cream to use for these sandwiches is straight out of the freezer with a texture that is just soft enough to spread with the back of a spoon. If you make your ice cream at home, I recommend making it ahead of time and leaving it in the freezer for an hour or two to really firm up. If you choose to use a store-bough ice cream, spread the ice cream straight out of the freezer.
Storing These Frozen Ice Cream Treats
- To properly store these ice cream sandwiches, you want to slice them into individual squares and then store them. They are easiest to slice when they are freshly frozen
- Place the sandwiches in an air-tight container with a large piece of parchment paper on the bottom. This helps prevent them from freezing to the bottom of the container
- Although it may be obvious, I think it's worth mentioning that these ice cream sandwiches should be stored in the freezer
- They will last up to a month in the freezer!
Looking for more frozen treats? You'll love these!
- Homemade Vegan Peaches & Cream Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
- Chocolate Almond Butter Ice Cream
These delicious paleo brownie ice cream sandwiches are all you need to cool off this summer! With creamy mint chocolate chip ice cream positioned in between two thin pieces of extra fudgy brownie squares, what more could you ask for? Best of all, they are super easy to make right at home!
- Make the ice cream by placing the coconut milks and coconut sugar in a pot over medium-low heat on the stove. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and no coconut milk clumps remain; let cool. Stir in the vanilla extract and mint extract
- Transfer the ice cream mixture to an ice cream machine (see notes for no-churn version) and churn in accordance with manufacturer instructions. Once the ice cream is almost done, add the chocolate chunks and stir to incorporate. Pour the ice cream into a container and place in freezer for at least an hour to harden
- Prepare the brownies in accordance with the instructions listed in my Dark Chocolate Paleo Brownie recipe, however, use a 9 x 13 inch baking pan to get thinner brownies. Bake for 17 - 20 minutes until the edges are crispy (we are looking for slightly underdone in the middle so that they will remain nice and fudgy once chilled); let cool them place in freezer for at least 30 minutes to firm up
- To assemble, slice the hardened brownie sheet in half, leaving two 9 x 6.5 inch brownie sections. Turn one of the brownie sections over and scoop ice cream on top. With a flat edged knife, spread the ice cream into a large ice cream block covering the entirety of the brownie. Place the other brownie section on top of the ice cream then place in freezer for another hour to solidify (this makes cutting them much easier
- Slice the brownies into 8 small rectangles. To do this, cut the brownies in half down the long-edge side. Rotate the brownies and make another cut down the middle of the short-edge then cut those halves in half again leaving 8 rectangular sandwiches. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container lined with parchment paper in the freezer for up to 2 weeks
- If making no-churn ice cream, prepare the ice cream in accordance with step 1 above. In stead of step 2, transfer the mixture to a container, stir in the chocolate chunks, and place in freezer overnight to freeze
- Once at a "soft frozen" state, you may want to stir a couple times to disperse the chocolate chunks as they may have settled at the bottom. Place in freezer again to become firm
- Once firm, pick up with step 3 in the above directions
Keywords: Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich, Ice Cream Sandwich, Healthy Frozen Treat, Gluten Free Brownies