When the sweet cravings hit, look no further than this chocolate chip cookie gluten-free mug cake recipe! It's like a single serve piece of cake that's made in the microwave in just minutes! It's soft and fluffy and requires little to no time and equipment to whip up. Add a scoop of ice cream and garnish with toppings and dig in!
If you tell your grandma you baked a cake in the microwave, she'd probably laugh in your face. Grandma's have a tendency to be brutally honest, right?
Well, show Grandma up with this fluffy and sweet gluten-free mug cake that is, yes, baked in the microwave. It's tender and soft with chocolate chips in every bite. It's no chocolate paleo cake or cookie dough cake but MAN it's incredibly delicious! Top it with ice cream and these miniature sweets make the perfect dessert for one or two!
- Almond flour - This is the flour used in this gluten-free mug cake. If needed, you can substitute with cassava flour.
- Coconut sugar - Used to add a touch of sweetness to the mug cake. Substitute with light brown sugar if desired.
- Baking powder - Make sure to use baking powder not baking soda for this recipe.
- Purely Elizabeth Vanilla Chocolate Chip Granola - Used to sprinkle on top of the mug cake! It adds a delicious little crunch to the dish.
Step by step directions
This gluten-free mug cake is a breeze to whip up! All you need is a bowl to mix the batter and a few mugs or ramekins.
Step 1 : Whisk the eggs with the coconut sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla
Step 2 : fold in the dry ingredients
After the eggs are well mixed, add the almond flour and baking powder to the bowl and mix to incorporate. This is best done with a fork or a rubber spatula.
Step 3 : add the chocolate chips
Add the chocolate chip to the bowl and mix to disburse in the batter. I like to use mini chocolate chips here but any chocolate chips will work as well.
Step 4 : pour into mug or ramekin
Pour the batter into two microwave-safe mugs or ramekins greased with oil. Bake in the microwave for 1 minute. The dish will be hot once it's done so remove it with an oven mitt or towel.
These 6-oz ramekins are the perfect size and are microwave and oven safe.
When the gluten-free mug cake is done, add your toppings and dig in! Here are a few topping recommendations I have:
- Ice cream - the ultimate gluten-free mug cake addition! The warm cake pairs perfectly with the cool ice cream.
- Purely Elizabeth Vanilla Chocolate Chip Granola - for a little added crunch. This is a new flavor of theirs and it does not disappoint! It has crispy granola clusters and chunks of chocolate which make the best topping for this mug cake.
- Chopped nuts - want to elevate this mug cake even more? Sprinkle some chopped pecans or almonds over top.
- Caramel - my homemade dairy free caramel sauce would be AMAZING drizzled over top too!
I don't recommend storing these small treats. These gluten-free mug cakes are best served warm, right outta the microwave! They also take no time to make (like under 5 minutes) so if you're looking to prepare them ahead of time, I would simply pull out all of the ingredients so they're ready to go when it's mug cake time!
Frequently asked questions
Yes, this gluten-free mug cake is designed to be entirely free of grains and dairy. However, if you choose to use a different brand of granola or chocolate chip, make sure it's gluten-free and dairy-free if desired.
Any mug works for this recipe but I would try not to use a super large mug (aka what my husband drinks his coffee out of every morning). A mug suited for 1 cup of coffee or a 6-oz ramekin is perfect for these mg cakes.
This is due to a difference in microwaves. No two microwaves are the same it seems. Your mug cake could take anywhere from 45 seconds to 2 minutes to bake through. I recommend starting with 1 minute and checking on it to make sure it's fully cooked. Sometimes you can tell as you watch it in the microwave.
For more sweet treats, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Gluten-free Mug Cake
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil - melted and cooled
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup Purely Elizabeth Vanilla Chocolate Chip Granola
- Ice cream - to top (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg, coconut sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla until well mixed.
- Mix in the almond flour and baking powder until no flour clumps remain.
- Fold the mini chocolate chips into the batter.
- Grease two small ramekins or mugs with coconut oil and pour the batter evenly into each dish.
- Microwave for 60 seconds. Allow the dish to cool down a bit before removing from the microwave.
- Top with a scoop of ice cream, if desired, sprinkle Purely Elizabeth Vanilla Chocolate Chip Granola over top, and dig in!