These cookie dough protein balls make the perfect on-the-go snack. They're packed with protein and wholesome ingredients and made gluten free and nut free. Even your kids will love them!
If you've been on the hunt for a healthier snack, look no further. These cookie dough protein balls are packed with protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs and are portable so you can enjoy them anytime. My kinda snack if you ask me!
Ingredients and notes
- Rolled oats - This is the base of the protein balls. You can also use oat flour. Use gluten free if needed.
- Honey - Used to sweeten the protein balls. Maple syrup or agave will work as well and will make this recipe vegan.
- Sunflower butter - SunButter's creamy sunflower butter is perfect in this recipe. It provides a creamy texture and adds hints of "nutty" flavor without the nuts. This combined with the vanilla is what gives the mixture a cookie dough taste.
- Protein powder - I used a vanilla pea protein powder but any type of vanilla or unflavored protein powder will work. You can also use a chocolate protein powder to provide more chocolate flavor.
- Flax seeds - Adds some fiber and omega-3 fatty acids to the snack. You can swap this with chia seeds if desired. You can also omit them and add more rolled oats.
Step by step directions
You can make this recipe in a food processor or a blender or you can mix by hand in a bowl with a rubber spatula.
Step 1 : Blend dry ingredients
First, pulse together the oats, flax seeds, and protein powder until well mixed. If you're using rolled oats, you want to blend well enough to create oat flour.
If using oat flour, you can use a mixing bowl with a spatula to mix the dry ingredients together.
Step 2 : Add wet ingredients
Add the sunflower butter, honey, vanilla, and 2 tablespoon of cold water to the mixer and blend until the mixture forms a big ball.
If the dough isn't sticking together, add another tablespoon of water until you achieve a semi-sticky consistency.
Step 3 : Add the chocolate chips
Add the chocolate chips, I like to use mini, to the mixer and pulse a few times to mix into the dough.
Something to note here is to make sure you feel the dough before you add the chocolate. If you ran the mixer on high for long in the previous step then the dough will be warm and you need to wait until it cools down to add the chocolate. If not, you'll have a chocolate mess when you try to roll the dough into balls.
Use a small cookie scoop or a spoon to scoop the dough into balls. Roll the dough in between the palms of your hands until you get a smooth ball.
How to store
Place the protein balls in an airtight container. They will keep for up to 10 days in the fridge and 5 days out on the counter.
They will be a little firmer when stored in the fridge and softer when stored at room temperature. I like to store them in the fridge and pack a few in a portable bag. By the time I enjoy them later, they are soft and chewy again!
Frequently asked questions
They will keep for up to 10 days when stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Depending on the type of protein powder, each protein ball should be around 6 - 8 grams of protein.
Yes, press the dough into an 8 X 8 or 9 X 9 inch pan lined with parchment paper. Flat it out with your hands and chill in the fridge until set. Cut into bars and enjoy!
For more protein snacks, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
No Bake Cookie Dough Protein Balls
- 1 cup rolled oats - you can also use oat flour, use gluten free if needed
- ¼ cup protein powder of choice
- ⅓ cup flax seeds
- 1 cup SunButter Creamy Sunflower Butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Place the rolled oats, protein powder, and flax seeds in food processor and blend well until fine.
- Add SunButter Creamy Sunflower Butter, honey, sea salt, vanilla, and cold water to the processor and blend again until well incorporated. The mixture should be soft and slightly sticky. If it's too thick, add a tablespoon of water and continue to mix.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse to combine.
- Use a small cookie scoop or spoon to scoop the mixture and roll it into a ball between the palms of your hands.
- Sprinkle some sea salt over top and store in an airtight container and enjoy!