This Cinnamon Baked Apples post was originally published 12/31/2019. Updated 11/9/2020.
Sweet and crisp cinnamon baked apples swimming in a delicious cinnamon dusting. This apple bake is a fan favorite in our house all year round. This classic recipe is easy and simple and made with clean ingredients. Best served warm right a big scoop of paleo ice cream!
Cinnamon Baked Apples
Baked apples are one of my all time favorite treats. It's a classic dessert that is so underrated. Better yet, it's incredible simple to make and perfect for a crowd.
These baked apples are kind of like diving right into a fresh, home-made apple pie but without all the crust fuss. The natural sweetness from the apples and the ever-so-subtle hints of cinnamon and coconut sugar provide an incredible combination. I’m not kidding, I could eat multiple bowls of this stuff.
We enjoy cinnamon baked apples all year long but when the temps start to drop, the craving seems to escalate quite quickly making them a fall must. On top of that, apple season is the perfect excuse to whip up a large batch.
Best Apples for Cinnamon Baked Apples
The key to the perfect baked apples is to mix up your apple types. This recipe calls for 4 red apples and 2 green apples which provides the perfect combination of sweetness and tartness to the dish. For instance, a couple Fuji apples and a couple Granny Smith apples have the ultimate ratio of sweet to tart. I also recommend Pink Lade or Honey Crisp apples for a tarter apple.
How to Make this Recipe
- First, wash and slice apples into thin slices and place in a 9 X 13 baking dish
- Next, in a separate bowl mix the coconut sugar, cinnamon, and coconut oil until the mixture resembles sand
- Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over the apple slices and toss with a rubber spatula to coat
- Then, bake in the oven until soft. There will be dome juices at the bottom of the pan (this is the good stuff). Stir the baked apples a few times to incorporate the juices then serve in bowls with a scoop or two of ice cream!
How to Serve Cinnamon Baked Apples
Cinnamon baked apples are extremely versatile. You can use them on practically anything. Here are a few ways I love to use baked apples:
- My personal favorite, with a bowl of ice cream (duhh)
- On top of pancakes or waffles
- Baked in a pie. Just find your favorite pie crust and simply use these apples as the filling
- Straight from a spoon. Simple and easy, nothing better