These gluten free feta stuffed mushrooms make the perfect easy appetizer to bring to a gathering. They're simple to make and packed with flavor! Each bite is cheesy with hints of savory garlic flavor. Made in under 30 minutes too!
Move over baked feta trend, there's a new way to use a block of feta and it's tasty, easy, and great for parties!
Traditional stuffed mushrooms are made with lots and lots of bread crumbs, sometimes cream cheese too, and a variety of spices. While delicious, I thought "I need to simplify this and make it a little lighter on the bread crumbs".
The baked feta pasta trend has been super popular this past year. Like SO popular that stores were running out of feta! It's delicious but I can't help but think that would be super good baked in the center of a mushroom cap. Well, I was right - it's incredible.
If you love to host or have friends and family over around the holidays, these feta stuffed mushrooms need to be on your table! They're super easy to make and always get gobbled up.
- Made gluten free
- Simple to make
- Perfect appetizer or hors d’oeuvre
- Creative way to make stuffed mushrooms
- Prepared in under 30 minutes
Ingredients and notes
- Mushrooms - I like baby bella mushrooms but white mushrooms will work too. Try to get a pack that has more medium sized mushrooms - not too big and not too small.
- Feta - This recipes calls for a block of feta, not the crumbles. You can use the crumbles but the center will be much softer. If you want to make this dairy free and vegan, use a vegan feta block.
- Almond flour - This is the base of the gluten free "bread crumbs". You can use coconut flour too if needed or panko.
- Nutritional yeast - Adds some "cheesy" flavor and some gorgeous flakes to the "bread crumbs". Feel free to omit if needed or substitute with parmesan cheese.
Step by step directions
These gluten free stuffed mushrooms are beyond simple to make. You will need a bowl for the "bread crumbs" and a large baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
Step 1 : Remove stems and wash mushrooms
First, remove the stems from the mushrooms. We won't use the stems in this recipe bt feel free to keep them for later. They are great in soup!
Make sure to wash the mushrooms well. I like to rub each mushroom with my hands or a brush to get any excess dirt off. Pat the mushrooms dry and spread them out on a baking sheet about an inch a part.
Step 2 : Prepare the "bread crumbs"
In a small bowl, add all the "bread crumb" ingredients and mix well. You can use a fork for this or just use your hands to toss it all up. It's okay if there are clumps of rosemary.
Set the bowl aside while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
Step 3 : Assemble
Slice the block of feta into ½ inch pieces and place one into the middle of each mushroom. Try to use fill up the entire center cavity with feta. If the feta piece is too small, chop another smaller piece and add it to the center to fill it up.
Because we use a block of feta, not the crumbles, it will just get soft when baked so don't worry about it spilling over the mushroom top.
Once the mushrooms are stuffed with feta, drizzle olive oil over the top. This is important! The olive oil helps to keep the mushroom moist and soft but also is how the bread crumbs will stick to the feta and mushroom.
I like to take an olive oil dispenser and drizzle over the entire pan to make sure each mushroom gets a little. If you don't have a dispenser, use a spoon to sprinkle about ½ - 1 teaspoon over each mushroom.
Then use your hands or a spoon to sprinkle the bread crumbs over each mushroom.
Bake in the oven until the feta is golden brown and the rosemary is toasted.
How to serve and store
Serve these gluten free stuffed mushrooms warm, fresh out of the oven. The feta will be soft and the bread crumbs toasted.
Place each mushroom on a platter or serving dish. If serving for a gathering, it's nice to have a bowl with toothpicks as well.
If you have some left over, transfer the mushrooms to an airtight container and store in the fridge where they will keep for up to 4 days. When ready to enjoy, warm them up on a baking sheet in the oven or in a toaster oven. Toast at 350 for about 6 - 8 minutes to warm them up.
Frequently asked questions
Yo can prepare these ahead of time so they are ready to be baked whenever you want. Make the "bread crumbs" in a bowl and go ahead and slice the feta and stuff each mushroom.
When ready to enjoy, you can quickly drizzle the olive oil over top and sprinkle the "bread crumbs" on top and bake. This is a great way to have most of the prep work done if you want to bring these to a gathering or party.
Use a block of feta, not the crumbles. In a pinch you can use the crumbles but know it will soften and melt when baked.
Yes, use a vegan feta block to make this recipe dairy free.
For more appetizers, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Gluten free Feta Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 oz package mushrooms - baby bella
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 rosemary stems
- 6 oz block of feta cheese - sub with vegan feta if needed
- Olive oil - for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and wash well. Use your hands or a brush to really scrub any excess dirt from each one. Pat dry and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up. Leave about 1 inch in between each mushroom.
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and sea salt. Remove the leaves from the rosemary stems over the bowl as well then toss to combine. You can use your hands to do this or a fork. Set the bowl aside.
- Cut the feta block into ½ inch pieces and place one inside the center of each mushroom. You want to stuff the center full with feta so if there is a piece that is too small, add another little sliver of feta to fill the center.
- Drizzle olive oil over each mushroom. You can do this with an olive oil dispenser and drizzle over the baking sheet or use a spoon and sprinkle ½ - 1 teaspoons of olive over each mushroom. This is important as this helps to keep the mushrooms moist and soft in the oven and is how the “bread crumbs” stick to the mushrooms.
- Use your hands or a spoon to sprinkle the “bread crumbs” over the mushrooms. Bake in the oven for 14 - 16 minutes until the feta is starting to turn golden and the “bread crumbs” are toasted. Serve warm and enjoy!