Spoil your guests with this honey baked ricotta dip! It starts with a simple whipped ricotta cheese dip and takes it up a notch with a sweet honey drizzle and pistachio and pomegranate topping. Naturally gluten free and easily made dairy free, it's the perfect holiday appetizer!
The holidays are here and that means entertaining galore! I love hosting, especially around the holidays, and believe warm and tasty appetizers are a must.
This dip is sure hit the spot and satisfy any and all guests. It's light and creamy and pairs well with practically anything.
- Naturally gluten free with dairy free options
- Made with deliciously sweet and all natural creamed honey
- Can be made in just one bowl
- Makes the perfect party appetizer
- Ricotta - I used part skim in this recipe but whole milk ricotta will work too. I have also made this with almond milk ricotta to make it dairy free.
- Cream cheese - Make sure it's room temperature so it's easily whipped. Use a plain vegan cream cheese to make this dairy free.
- Almond milk - You can substitute with most any milk.
- Honey - Adds sweetness to the ricotta and is drizzle on top. Madhava's creamed honey is thick and creamy with a deliciously sweet flavor.
Step by step directions
All you need to make this whipped ricotta dip is a mixing bowl and a 9 X 10 baking dish.
Step 1 : Mix all dip ingredients
First, place all ingredients, except the toppings, in a mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix well until super creamy. The mixture will be thin.
Step 2 : Bake
Pour the ricotta mixture into a baking dish. I used an 8 X 10 dish but you can also use a 9 X 11.
Bake until the mixture is bubbling and the edges are golden brown around the dish.
Allow it to set for at least 20 minutes out of the oven. Ricotta is fairly thin when hot so you need to let it sit for a few to set up. This is why lasagna needs time to set as well, the ricotta will solidify with a little time.
Step 3 : Top with honey and garnishes
One set, drizzle honey over the dish and top with pistachios and and pomegranates for an added holiday flare.
How to serve
Serve the dish warm with honey and desired toppings (see below for ways to customize). You can serve with toasted bread, vegetable sticks, crackers, etc.
Storing and making ahead of time
This dip does not keep well once you put the honey and toppings on top. If you use nuts, they may get soft from the honey after a day or two.
If you are planning on storing it or want to make it ahead of time, I recommend leaving the toppings off until you are ready to serve.
To make ahead of time, go ahead and bake the ricotta in the oven and let it set. When ready to serve, warm it up in the oven at 350 F for 10 minutes to soften it a little. You will want to let it set again for a few minutes before adding the toppings.
There are lots of ways to top your baked ricotta. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Drizzle with honey and top with slivered almonds
- Top with olive oil and sea salt
- Spoon some fig jam over top of the baked dish
- Top with honey and toasted pine nuts
Frequently asked questions
Without the toppings, you can keep this baked ricotta for up to 4 days in the fridge. Warm it up in the oven when ready to serve, let it set, then add toppings.
Yes, and I recommend it to take yourself a lot of time and effort. I used part skim ricotta but whole milk ricotta will work too and even vegan ricotta.
Yes, use a dairy free cream cheese and ricotta to make this dish entirely dairy free.
For more tasty appetizers, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Baked Honey Thyme Whipped Ricotta Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese - room temperature (sub dairy free if needed)
- 32 oz ricotta cheese - sub dairy free if needed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoon almond milk
- 3 tablespoon Madhava Organic Creamed Honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 thyme stems
- ½ cup Madhava Organic Creamed Honey
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 F. In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, ricotta, olive oil, almond milk, honey, and sea salt until creamy. You want to really beat the mixture so it's nice and airy.
- Fold in the thyme stems. Pour the mixture into an 8 X 10 inch baking pan. Bake in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes until the mixture is bubbling and the edges are a golden brown.
- Let the dish cool for 20 minutes to set. This is important as the ricotta will be very thin when hot. It needs a few minutes to set.
- Once set, warm up the creamed honey in the microwave for 10 seconds before drizzling it over top of the dish. Sprinkle with pistachios and pomegranate seeds and serve with toasted bread and/or veggies.