This decadent homemade hazelnut butter is made with just 4 ingredients and sure to be your new favorite spread! It's nutty and slightly sweet with classic rich chocolate flavors. If you're into nutella (aren't we all) you'll love this homemade nutella recipe!
Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
Feast your eyes on basically a jar full of liquid gold. I'm talking rich and robust chocolate flavored hazelnut butter that will make you go WILD. Wild as in spreading it on anything and everything from toast to fruit to straight outta the jar!
If you're a fan of the well-known nutella, think of this as her healthier and simpler cousin. It's made with only 4 ingredients and a little less sugar. Easily made it at home, you can have delicious chocolate hazelnut butter on hand at all times!
What you need to make chocolate hazelnut butter spread at home
This homemade nutella recipe is easy peasy to make. All you need are a few simple ingredients and a high powered blender or food processor.
- Hazelnuts - the crux of the chocolate spread! We take raw hazelnuts and simply roast them in the oven to bring out their natural oils before blending. Pre-roasted hazelnuts will also work in this recipe.
- Coconut oil - this provides additional oil to the mixture ensuring it's smooth and creamy.
- Cacao powder - to provide some chocolate flavor to the hazelnut butter.
- Coconut sugar - adds a touch of sweetness to the spread. If desired, you can use more or less of this and still achieve a thick and creamy consistency.
Homemade Nutella Recipe Steps
Follow these super simple steps to have this liquid gold on hand in no time!
Step 1 : Roast the hazelnuts
First, place the raw hazelnuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the melted coconut oil over top and move the nuts around with a spoon to ensure each one is coated with oil. Then roast in the oven until golden. Be sure to keep an eye on them in the oven as will burn easily.
If using pre-roasted hazelnuts, skip this step.
Step 2 : Blend hazelnuts
In a food processor, blend the roasted hazelnuts until creamy. This can take a few minutes. It's important to get the mixture to a thin consistency before you move to step 3 below. If needed, stop the processor halfway through to scrape down the sides.
Step 3 : blend remaining ingredients
Add the cacao powder and coconut sugar to the food processor and continue to blend until the coconut sugar is "dissolved" in the mixture. It will thicken up slightly but will still be fairly runny.
Step 4 : store in glass jar
Once blended, transfer the chocolate hazelnut butter to a glass jar. Store in the fridge - it will thicken up even more after about an hour and will keep fresh for 2 weeks!
You into chocolate? You'll love these!
Healthy Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts*
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil - melted
- ½ cup coconut sugar**
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Spread the hazelnuts out on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the melted coconut oil over top and move the nuts around with a spoon to make sure each is coated in oil. Roast in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes until golden brown (keep an eye on them around the 10 minute mark as they can burn easily).2 cups raw hazelnuts*, 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- Transfer the hazelnuts to a food processor and blend until thin and creamy. This can take a few minutes. It's important to get the mixture to a thin consistency before moving onto the next step so keep blending until it's quite thin.
- Once blended, add the coconut sugar, cocoa powder, and sea salt. Continue to blend until the powder and sugar are "dissolved" in the mixture.½ cup coconut sugar**, ¼ cup cocoa powder, pinch of sea salt
- Transfer the hazelnut butter to a glass container and store in the fridge. It will thicken up in the fridge and will stay fresh for up 2 weeks.