This dairy-free hot chocolate is just what you need to warm up on a chilly day. Made vegan with coconut milk, real cacao, and coconut sugar. It's actually thick and creamy, full of deep chocolate flavor, and non dairy. It's the coziness in a mug you'll want to sip on all winter long!
Ahh, hot chocolate season is finally here! Aka my favorite season. Aka I will take any excuse to drink liquid chocolate from a mug any day.
As chocolate's number 1 fan-girl, nothing sounds better than sipping on a warm cup of hot chocolate on a brisk chilly day. But not just any hot chocolate, thick, creamy, swoon-worthy hot chocolate.
Which is exactly what we have here! This dairy-free hot chocolate is actually thick and not watered down like the typical non dairy hot chocolate.
If you're also team chocolate, check out my chocolate espresso martini! It's the perfect post dinner libation.
This hot chocolate only requires a few simple dairy-free pantry staples. It's probably the best part about this recipe! You can go from craving to a warm cup in hand in no time!
- Coconut Milk - Light coconut milk works best but you can also use full-fat if you prefer your hot chocolate on the thicker side.
- Nut Milk - This adds some bulk to the hot chocolate. Any non-dairy milk will work - almond, oat, etc. Make sure it's unsweetened as we will sweeten it ourselves.
- Coconut Sugar - To sweeten. If you like your hot chocolate a little more sweet, add an additional tablespoon until you reach your desired sweetness.
- Cacao Powder - Used to add the chocolate flavor. Make sure to use high-quality cacao powder. This one is my favorite and provides some serious dark chocolate flavor.
- Nut Butter - This is what ensures a super creamy texture. Any nut butter will work, just make sure it's the creamy-style.
Step by step directions
Guys, this recipe is incredibly easy to make and only requires one pot. Probably a blessing and a curse at the same time.
- First, heat the coconut milk , nut milk, and coconut sugar in a small pot over medium heat until it reaches a simmer.
- Once simmering, whisk in the cacao powder, vanilla, and nut butter. Stir until the cacao is completely incorporated and the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Then, pour into mugs and top with toasted marshmallows and extra chocolate shavings if desired.
There are endless topping possibilities when it comes to hot chocolate. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Marshmallows - You can't go wrong with the classic. Use mini marshmallows or the jumbo sized ones for a little something extra.
- Chocolate shavings - If you need even more chocolate flavor in your cup, add a sprinkle of chopped chocolate on top 😉
- Peppermint - For some added holiday cheer, add a candy cane or peppermint stick to the mug.
- Whipped cream - Another classic hot chocolate topping. Use coconut whipped cream to make this dairy free.
Here are some quick and easy tips to make sure your hot chocolate hits the spot every time!
- Make sure to use high-quality coconut milk. Unfortunately, all coconut milk is not created equal. You want to use a coconut milk that has a nice thin layer of cream on top. Light coconut milk works best for this recipe. My favorite tried and true brands are Thai Kitchen, Native Forest, and Whole Foods.
- Whisk well. To ensure the cacao powder is fully incorporated, you'll need to whisk well until the texture is smooth.
- Don't skip the nut butter. I know it may sound weird, but it adds a subtle creaminess to the hot chocolate.
Frequently asked questions
I find coconut milk to be the best alternative. It has a higher fat content than most other dairy free milks which ensures a creamy consistency.
My favorite non dairy chocolate is Enjoy Life.
No, unfortunately Nestle's hot chocolate mix does contain dairy ingredients.
This is a matter of personal preference. I prefer hot chocolate made with milk which makes it creamy. When it's made with water, it's thinner and you lose some of the chocolate flavor.
For more chocolate goodness, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Super Creamy Non Dairy Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup coconut milk - light
- 2 cups unsweetened nut milk - (I used almond)
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp creamy nut butter - (I used cashew)
- Optional toppings - toasted marshmallows, chopped chocolate, cinnamon, etc.
- Heat the coconut milk, nut milk, and coconut sugar in a pot on the stove over medium heat until it reaches a simmer.
- Add the cacao powder, vanilla, and nut butter and whisk to incorporate.
- Pour into mugs while warm, top with desired toppings, and enjoy!