Get into the holiday spirit with this skinny peppermint mocha! It's creamy and light with hints of chocolate and peppermint in every sip. A lighted up version of the classic Starbucks drink, this chocolaty oat milk latte is made nut free, dairy free, and vegan!
A peppermint mocha is a staple this time of year. I mean chocolate + peppermint in drinkable form...how could you not?
Because this time of year can be filled with holiday treats (like my oatmeal cranberry white chocolate chip cookies and gluten free ginger snap cookies), a lightened up skinny peppermint mocha sounds pretty decent.
With a low fat plant milk and chocolate sunflower butter to provide some sweetness, this festive drink has it all - bold flavor, light consistency, and holiday cheer!
- Naturally dairy free and vegan
- Made with oat milk, making it a nut free drink
- Silky smooth and creamy consistency
- Hints of peppermint and real chocolate
- A skinny version of the classic
- Much cheaper than Starbucks
Ingredients and notes
- Coffee - Use strong coffee for the best flavor. You can also use espresso if you have that ability at home. Use 2 shot of espresso in each mocha.
- Oat milk - Unsweetened and plain flavored is best. Make sure to shake it well before using it. Any type of nut milk will work if you aren't concerned about making this nut free. Skim milk is also an option to make this mocha.
- Cacao powder - Provides and extra chocolaty flavor. Unsweetened cocoa powder will work as well.
- Peppermint extract - A little goes a long way with this. Use peppermint extract, not mint.
- Chocolate sunflower butter - This is how to get that creamy texture. Chocolate SunButter is slightly sweet so there is no need to add more sweetness to the drink.
How to make a skinny peppermint mocha
This festive drink is so easy to make you'll be making it all season long. No more $6 trips to Starbucks!
Simply add all the ingredients to a pot and bring it to a simmer. Stir well to incorporate the chocolate sunflower butter and cacao powder. I like to use a stiff whisk for this but you can also use a spoon or spatula. It should dissolve into the liquid after a few minutes.
Allow the mixture to simmer for about a minute. Watch the pot so make sure it doesn't spill over.
Scrape down the sides of the pot and pour into two coffee cups. Leave some room at the top so you can add some toppings.
There are a few ways you can top your skinny peppermint mocha.
- Whipped coconut cream - This is what I used. I love my whipped cream dispenser! I used it in my mini pumpkin pies. You use it the same way you would normal whipped cream. Simply add chilled coconut milk and a little vanilla to the base and shake a few times. Then attach the nitrogen cartridge. You will hear a hissing noise at the nitrogen flows into the base. Shake a few more times then dispense on top your peppermint mocha!
- Chocolate shavings - Shave a a piece of your favorite chocolate bar over top of the whipped cream to deepen the chocolate flavor. You can also use chocolate chips.
- Crushed candy canes - A festive touch! Crush a mini candy cane and sprinkle the pieces over your drink. This will also help to intensify the peppermint flavor.
Frequently asked questions
A Starbucks skinny peppermint mocha is made with nonfat milk, sugar-free peppermint syrup, skinny mocha sauce, and no whipped cream.
This recipe uses oat milk instead which has a low fat content and uses cacao for the chocolate flavor along with chocolate sunflower butter. The sunflower butter does have some sugar in it already so there is no need to sweet the drink further.
We also use whipped coconut cream on top (optional) because what is a peppermint mocha without a little cream?!
A typical grande skinny peppermint mocha at Starbucks is 160 calories. This recipe comes in just under 150 calories with the toppings.
You can use regular sunflower butter with 1 Tbsp coconut sugar. If you aren't concerned about making this nut free, any type of nut butter will work with a little added coconut sugar or other sweetener of choice.
Yes, any type of nut milk will work in this recipe and will still make it "skinny". Non-fat or skim milk will also work. If you aren't worried about making it "skinny", regular cow milk or even coconut milk works well.
For more festive recipes, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Oat Milk Skinny Peppermint Mocha
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 pouch SunButter Chocolate Sunflower Butter - approx. 2 Tbsp
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- Whipped coconut cream - to top (optional)
- Crushed peppermint - to top (optional)
- Chocolate shavings - to top (optional)
- In a pot, heat the oat milk, coffee, cacao powder, SunButter Chocolate Sunflower Butter, and peppermint extract over medium heat.
- Stir continuously to incorporate the sunflower butter and cacao powder. Remove from heat once it begins to simmer.
- Pour into two mugs and top with whipped coconut cream, crushed peppermint, and chocolate shavings if desired.