Dive spoon first into this soft and zesty lemon mug cake in just 5 minutes! Complete with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and lemon curd drizzle, this tiny cake is the perfect sweet treat for one.
Lemon lovers, rejoice! This easy lemon mug cake is filled with tart citrus flavor that will have you puckering upon first bite. It may even catch the attention of the deepest chocolate lover 😉
Mug cakes are a great way to satisfy that cake sweet tooth without the hassle of baking an entire cake. Make them in just one bowl, or even inside the mug itself, in about 90 seconds in the microwave. You don't get much easier than that!
Check out my chocolate chip gluten free mug cake and mini red velvet skillet cookie for more tiny desserts! You'll also love my gluten free lemon cake if you're looking for more lemon desserts to make for a gathering.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Egg - This helps the mug cake rise in the microwave. If needed, you can substitute with a flax egg but be prepared that it won't rise as much.
- Honey - Used to sweeten the cake naturally. Agave or maple syrup will work as well.
- Coconut oil - Provides moisture to the cake batter. Any type of lightly flavored oil can used as a substitute like avocado oil or vegetable oil or melted butter.
- Almond milk - Any type of milk will work in this recipe.
- Lemon - Both fresh lemon juice and lemon zest are used. They add some fresh lemon flavor and will provide the best result. Store bought lemon juice can be used as well but I recommend using a little more to ensure the lemon flavor shines through in the cake.
- Flour - All purpose or gluten free 1:1 will work in this lemon mug cake recipe.
- Lemon curd - I used my own recipe for dairy free lemon curd but you can use any kind of lemon curd or make a lemon royal icing.
- Whipped cream - Store bought or fresh whipped cream can be used. Cool whip is also a great option or Truwhip if dairy free.
How To Make a Lemon Mug Cake
You will need a large coffee mug and a fork or spoon to mix the batter for this recipe.
Step 1 : Mix the wet ingredients. In a separate small bowl or in the bottom of your mug, whisk the egg, honey, coconut oil, almond milk, lemon juice, and vanilla together until well mixed.
Step 2 : Add the dry ingredients. Fold in the flour, lemon zest, and baking powder to the batter until just mixed. The batter should be slightly thick like pancake batter.
Step 3 : Microwave. Place the mug in the microwave and heat for 60 - 90 seconds. The cake will puff up in the mug. The top of the cake may look slightly wet which is okay, as it cools down it will firm up to resemble a slice of cake.
Step 4 : Top. Spoon a dollop of whipped cream on top of the mug cake followed by a spoonful of lemon curd and dig in!
What Can I Use Instead of Lemon Curd?
If you don't have lemon curd or don't want to go through the hassle of making a jar yourself, you can also top your mug cake with an easy lemon icing. Simply mix together 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar with a teaspoon of lemon juice and pour over top of the warm cake.
- Don't over mix the cake batter. Even though this is a mug cake, you still want to be sure not to over mix the batter when the dry ingredients have been incorporated.
- Use a large mug to ensure the cake doesn't spill out of the mug. I used a 16 oz coffee mug and it was perfect.
- Remember that the mug will be hot when it's done in the microwave so I recommend waiting a few seconds to take it out.
- Drizzle the lemon curd or icing over the cake while it's still slightly warm. The warm cake will soak up the sweetness perfectly.
For more citrusy treats, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Lemon Mug Cake
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ tablespoon coconut oil - melted
- 1 tablespoon almond milk - or any type of milk
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice - approx. ½ lemon
- ⅓ cup flour - all purpose or gluten free 1:1
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest - approx. ½ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Whipped cream - or Cool Whip or Truwhip (optional)
- Lemon curd - or lemon icing (see notes), optional
- In the bottom of a large coffee mug or in a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, honey, coconut oil, almond milk, and lemon juice until well combined.
- Add the flour, lemon zest, and baking powder and gently fold into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a large coffee mug and place the mug in the microwave. Heat for 60 - 90 seconds until the cake has puffed up to the top and is semi-stiff when you press into it with your finger. The top will be a little wet at first but will solidify more as it cools down slightly.
- Allow the mug to cool down a little before removing it from the microwave. Top with fresh whipped cream of choice and a drizzle of lemon curd or lemon icing (see notes).