This pumpkin pasta is rich and creamy with a delicious white wine sauce for an elevated festive dish! It's filled with warm spices and plenty of pumpkin flavor perfect for fall! It comes together in less than 30 minutes and is great for serving on its own or as a side dish with your favorite protein source for an easy weeknight meal the whole family will love.
The best & creamiest Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce you will ever find!
Let’s be honest, as soon as the weather begins to cool there’s no such thing as too much pumpkin. From pumpkin cheesecake brownies to almond flour pumpkin muffins, and chocolate pumpkin butter cups, I’m here for it all! However, tempting as it is, we can’t live on nothing but sweets all day.
That’s where this pumpkin pasta recipe comes into play! Made with minimal ingredients and plenty of pumpkin goodness, it’s guaranteed to become your new staple pasta dish. All you have to do is boil some noodles and toss them with my simple pumpkin pasta sauce, and dinner is ready in a pinch.
- The best & creamiest Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce you will ever find!
- Homemade Pumpkin Pasta Ingredients and Substitutions
- Best pasta for Homemade Pumpkin Pasta
- Best wine for this Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
- How to make Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce
- Toppings for Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce
- How to store Pumpkin Sauce Pasta
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta FAQs
Homemade Pumpkin Pasta Ingredients and Substitutions
- Pasta - Any type of pasta will work in this pumpkin pasta recipe.
- Oil - I used olive oil, but feel free to use any other oil you have on hand such as avocado oil or vegetable oil.
- Garlic - Adds a bold, savory flavor.
- Shallots - Combines with the garlic for an incredible umami flavor. White onions or yellow would be great too.
- Herbs and spices - A combination of sage, nutmeg, and salt emulate all the flavors of fall for a warm, comforting flavor that will have your guests begging for more.
- Pumpkin purée - Make sure you use 100% pure pumpkin purée and not pumpkin pie filling which contains added sugar and spices.
- Dry white wine - To add depth to the pumpkin pasta sauce. Replace it with chicken or vegetable broth to keep this recipe alcohol-free.
- Milk - Any milk you like best will work.
- Parmesan - Everything is better with Parmesan, right?! It melts into the sauce for extra creamy pasta.
Best pasta for Homemade Pumpkin Pasta
A noodle that has ridges is best for this recipe. For example, rotini, cavatappi, fusilli, bow tie, or penne are all great options. The ridges help the noodles hold onto the delicious sauce! I like to use chickpea pasta to add more protein to the dish, but you can also use regular pasta, gluten free, whole wheat, etc.
Best wine for this Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
I use white wine in this pasta sauce since it’s a creamier style sauce. Red wines can also be used in pasta sauces but are normally added to tomato-based sauces like marinara and bolognese.
A dry white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio is best. They give the pasta a subtle wine flavoring that pairs wonderfully with the pumpkin. Chardonnay is also a great option and would add a deeper buttery flavor to the sauce.
How to make Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce
This pumpkin pasta is a breeze to make! All you’ll need is a saucepan or pot for the pumpkin pasta sauce and a pot to boil the pasta.
Step 1: Cook the pasta. Prepare the pasta according to the package instructions, reserving 1 cup of the starchy water.
Step 2: Make the pumpkin pasta sauce. While the pasta is cooking, warm the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and sauté the garlic and onions. Once the ingredients have softened and become fragrant, stir in the pumpkin purée, and spices. Let the pumpkin brown slightly.
Then, add the milk and white wine, and let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes to deepen the flavors. Stir in the Parmesan cheese until it is melted and well incorporated into the sauce.
Step 3: Toss everything together. Combine the cooked pasta with the pumpkin sauce and ½ cup of the reserved water. Stir until the ingredients are well incorporated and the pasta is completely coated with the sauce.
Add more pasta water as needed to thin out the sauce until your desired consistency is achieved. Serve warm with your favorite toppings.
Toppings for Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce
I always add extra Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs to my pasta. However, there are endless topping options to spruce this recipe up and make it your own. Here are some of my favorite additions:
- Roasted chicken
- Italian sausage
- Turkey meatballs
- Goat cheese crumbles
- Slivered almonds
How to store Pumpkin Sauce Pasta
Let the pasta cool completely before storing it in an airtight container. It will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. When ready to enjoy, reheat the pasta in the microwave with a splash of water. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until you reach your desired consistency.
How long does pumpkin pasta last in the fridge?
It will last for up to 4 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container.
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta FAQs
Yes, use a non-dairy milk in the pasta sauce and non-dairy cheese. The sauce will be slightly thinner in consistency with non-dairy milk so you probably won’t have to add as much pasta water when combining it with the noodles.
Yes, use a gluten free pasta to make this recipe entirely gluten free.
Yes, once cooled and placed in an airtight container, pumpkin pasta can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
For sweeter dishes, sweeter spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla will pair well with pumpkin. You can also create savory dishes with spices like sage, chili, and garlic.
Pumpkin is a versatile ingredient which means it pairs well with just about any meat. Some common protein pairs are beef, chicken, pork, and shrimp.
Yes, they are the same thing and can be used interchangeably.
For more easy pasta dishes, check out these recipes:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Pumpkin Sauce Pasta
- 8 oz pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoon minced shallots
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- ½ cup dry white wine - or use chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup milk - any milk will work
- ¼ cup Parmesan
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve one cup of the starchy water.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil, minced garlic and chopped shallots in a sauce pan or pot over medium low heat.
- Once the garlic and shallots have softened, add the pumpkin purée, sage, nutmeg, and sea salt. Whisk and let the pumpkin brown slightly for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the white wine and milk and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded parmesan and stir to incorporate into the pumpkin sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the cooks pasta along with ½ cup of the reserve starchy water. Mix to incorporate the sauce and add more pasta water until you reach your desired sauce consistency.
- Topped with extra parmesan and fresh herbs and enjoy