Prepare to have your cinnamon roll dreams come true with this single serve cinnamon roll recipe! 15 minutes and a few simple ingredients are all you need before you can dive fork first into fluffy cinnamon chocolate heaven. Can be made vegan and gluten free too!
POV : It's Saturday morning and you want a fresh warm cinnamon roll. But...you had a heck of a work week and don't want to go through the hassle of making an ENTIRE batch of cinnamon rolls. Enter this single serve cinnamon roll 😉 .
This has to be one of the easiest cinnamon rolls on the block. The dough is made from naturally sweetened greek yogurt and a little flour and baking powder. The filling is just as simple, a strong layer of chocolate sunflower butter which just so happens to taste even better than Nutella (shhh) and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon.
Trust me, this is the kinda cinnamon roll you're going to be making over and over again!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Greek yogurt - This is the base of the dough. Use an unsweetened plain flavored yogurt since you will add flavoring with the vanilla and maple syrup. Use a dairy free greek-style yogurt to make this recipe dairy free.
- Maple syrup - Used to sweeten the dough. Because there is no butter in the dough, you don't get that deep buttery flavor. The maple adds a touch of sweetness back to the dough. Feel free to swap with honey or agave.
- Flour - Regular all purpose flour is what I used in this recipe. You can also use gluten free 1:1 flour. You will need to add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar if you use gluten free flour.
- Baking powder - Needed to make the dough super fluffy and soft. Make sure your baking powder is fresh!
- Chocolate SunButter - The star of the filling! It's rich and smooth and perfect inside the cinnamon roll. Bonus points with it being nut free!
- Powdered sugar - Used in the icing. You can also use powdered monk fruit if desired.
- Almond milk - Just a little is needed to make the icing. Any type of milk or even water will work.
- Cinnamon - You can't have a cinnamon roll without cinnamon right? A little sprinkle is used in the filling as well as in the icing.
Step by step instructions
Step 1 : Mix the dough wet ingredients. In a bowl, swirl together the greek yogurt, maple syrup, and vanilla. You should be left with a cream colored sweetened yogurt.
Step 2 : Fold in the dry dough ingredients. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl and mix until a large ball of dough forms. The dough will be slightly sticky which is okay.
Step 3 : Roll out the dough. Lightly flour a flat surface and roll out the dough into a long rectangle.
Step 4 : Add the filling and roll. Use a pizza cutter or a knife to cut the dough in half length wise so you're left with 2 long strips of dough. Spread the chocolate sunflower butter over each strip, leaving some room around the edges. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon over top. Then roll up one strip into a tight roll. Place that roll on the end of the other strip of dough and roll up into an extra large cinnamon roll.
Step 5 : Bake! Place the cinnamon roll in a greased ramekin dish and bake in the oven until it's risen and the dough is lightly golden brown.
Step 6 : Drizzle the icing over top. Mix together the icing ingredients in a small bowl. Spread it over the cinnamon roll while warm and enjoy!
- Greek yogurt works best in this recipe. A dairy free greek-style yogurt can also be used. Regular yogurt however will be much thinner and will require more flour to make a dough.
- Knead the dough until it's not really sticky. The dough shouldn't be sticking to your fingers. If it is, you need to knead more flour into it.
- Use a thin layer of chocolate sunflower butter. this prevents it from oozing out as you roll up the cinnamon roll.
- Grease the ramekin to prevent the cinnamon roll from sticking to the bottom in the oven.
How to Store
This cinnamon roll is best enjoyed warm fresh out of the oven. If needed, it will keep for a few hours after it's baked. Simply cover the ramekin with foil and warm it up again in the microwave uncovered until soft.
Can I make this ahead of time?
This cinnamon roll can be prepped ahead of time if you want to save some time in the morning! Follow the instructions as directed but don't bake it. Instead, place some plastic wrap around the unbaked cinnamon roll in the ramekin and store it in the fridge overnight. When ready to make, let the cinnamon roll sit out on the counter while the oven preheats and then bake as directed.
Can I make this gluten free?
You can make this single serve cinnamon roll with gluten free 1:1 flour to make it gluten free. Use the same amount of flour as instructed but add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to the wet ingredients. This is needed to react with the baking powder so the dough rises in the oven.
Can I make this in a muffin pan?
This recipe makes some super cute cinnamon roll muffins! If you don't have a ramekin you can make this recipe into 3 small cinnamon rolls with a muffin pan. Roll out the dough into a rectangle as directed but cut it into 3 strips. Roll up each strip individually and place in a greased muffin pan and bake for 10 minutes until golden.
Frequently Asked Questions
You need to knead the dough with some extra flour on a flat surface until it's soft and not sticky. Add more flour if it's still too sticky.
Check your baking powder expiration date. If the dough didn't rise in the oven then it may be bad.
I used a 6 oz ramekin in this recipe. You can also use an 8 oz dish. A 4oz will work but your cinnamon roll will need to be smaller.
Check out these other cinnamony recipes:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Single Serve Chocolate Cinnamon Roll
For the dough
For the filling
- Chocolate SunButter - for filling
For the icing
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ - 1 teaspoon milk - I used almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Add the yogurt, vanilla, and maple syrup to a bow and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and sea salt to the bowl and mix well until a large ball of dough forms. The dough may be a little sticky at first which is okay.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and knead the dough until it’s soft and not sticky.
- Use a rolling pin or a jar to roll the dough out into a long rectangle (about 3 - 4 inches wide and 9 - 12 inches long is best). Use a knife or pizza cutter to slice the rectangle in half so you’re left with 2 long strips of dough.
- Spread a thin layer of Chocolate SunButter on top of each piece of dough and dust with cinnamon. Roll up one of the pieces of dough into a spiral shape. Then place the spiral on the end of the other piece of dough and roll again (think of a little cinnamon roll inside of a bigger cinnamon roll!).
- Place the cinnamon roll in a greased ramekin or mug and bake in the oven for 14 - 16 minutes until the dough on top is golden.
- While the cinnamon roll is baking, make the icing by mixing together the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and milk in a small bowl until thick yet runny. The icing should be able to coat the back of a spoon. Spread the icing over the cinnamon roll while it’s still warm and enjoy!