This vegan mug brownie is the perfect single-serving treat for when a chocolate craving hits! Made with simple ingredients, it requires little to no prep time, zero fancy equipment, and bakes in the microwave in just one minute. Add a scoop of ice cream and your favorite garnishes, and dig in while it’s warm!
Have you ever wanted dessert but can’t be bothered to go through the hassle of making an entire chocolate cake or baking a batch of brownies? I feel you. However, given that I have a serious sweet tooth, I’m not willing to admit defeat that easily.
Luckily, that’s where this vegan mug brownie comes into play! Made with all the chocolatey goodness of your favorite brownies yet soft and fluffy like cake, it’s the best of both worlds and so easy to make.
Just combine everything in a bowl or mug, pop it in the microwave, and it’s ready in less than 2 minutes. Dessert doesn’t get better than that!
Vegan Mug Brownie Recipe Characteristics
- Dietary features - gluten free-friendly, nut free, vegan
- Made in minutes
- Requires minimal cleanup
- Single-serve to prevent waste
What Is a Chocolate Vegan Mug Cake?
Vegan mug cakes are literally a personal cake made in a mug! If you’ve ever craved a slice of cake but don’t want to go through the hassle of baking an entire cake, this is the best alternative (and maybe even better!).
You can mix up the ingredients in a mug easily with a spoon or fork and then warm it up in the microwave or oven for an irresistible single-serve warm slice of cake.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Applesauce - This acts as an egg in a traditional brownie recipe by binding the ingredients together. I haven't tested it, but you should be able to swap it with an egg or flax egg, if desired.
- Coconut sugar - Used to add a touch of sweetness to the vegan mug brownie while keeping it moist. Substitute with brown sugar if preferred.
- Vanilla - Used to enhance the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
- Chocolate chips - Melted down and incorporated into the batter for an intense chocolate taste.
- Coconut oil - Combined with melted chocolate chips to create a decadent chocolate sauce and enhance the vegan mug cake brownie batter.
- Flour - All-purpose flour, gluten free 1:1 flour, or almond flour all work to add structure to this vegan mug cake.
- Cocoa powder - Helps create a classic brownie flavor. Make sure your cocoa powder is unsweetened, or swap it out for cacao powder instead.
- Baking powder - Crucial to creating fluffy baked goods.
- Salt - Necessary to enhance the rest of the ingredients for the best vegan mug cake.
How to Make A Vegan Mug Brownie
This vegan mug brownie is one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever make. All you’ll need are a couple mixing bowls, a ramekin or mug, and a microwave!
Step 1: Combine the wet ingredients. Mix the applesauce, coconut sugar, and vanilla together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, pour the melted coconut oil over the chocolate chips, and stir just until the chocolate is melted. Add the melted chocolate to the applesauce mixture, and stir to combine.
Step 2: Add the dry ingredients. Sprinkle the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of wet ingredients. Stir until a smooth batter forms.
Step 3: Microwave the vegan mug cake. Pour the prepared batter into a ramekin or coffee mug, and microwave for 60 seconds.
Step 4: Plate and serve. Allow the chocolate mug cake to cool slightly before removing it from the microwave. Then, add a scoop of ice cream, and your favorite garnishes on top, and dig in!
Of course, this recipe is delicious served on its own. However, it’s even better when you add your favorite toppings, too! Some of my favorite options include:
- Ice cream - The ultimate vegan mug cake topping! The cold ice cream slowly melts into the warm cake for a satisfying combination of tastes and textures.
- Chopped nuts - Included for a little extra crunch.
- Caramel sauce - My homemade vegan caramel sauce adds an extra indulgent touch.
- Peanut butter - For the ultimate flavor combination.
- Chocolate shavings - To create a triple chocolate recipe.
- Whipped cream - A slightly lighter option than ice cream but still super tasty.
- Make sure to melt the chocolate and coconut oil together, and mix until it’s smooth and thin.
- Try not to open the microwave once the vegan mug brownie starts to cook. It will interfere with the cooking time.
- The mug or ramekin will be very warm once the brownie mug cake has cooked. Allow it to cool down slightly before removing it from the microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes but make sure to use an oven-safe ramekin or dish. Prepare the batter as normal, and place your mug or ramekin on a baking sheet. Then, bake for 10 - 12 minutes at 350 F.
Once the mug cake has cooked, you can refrigerate it covered for up to 2 days. Warm it up again in the microwave in 10-second intervals before enjoying.
Yes, use an equal amount of either gluten free 1:1 flour or almond flour to make this vegan chocolate mug cake brownie entirely gluten free.
for more sweet treats, check out my:
Vegan Mug Brownie
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar - or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 1 ½ tablespoon coconut oil - melted, or any oil
- ¼ cup flour - use gluten free 1:1 or almond flour to make this gluten free
- ½ tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- In a bowl mix together the applesauce coconut sugar and vanilla until the sugar is well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl pour the melted coconut oil over the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the melted chocolate to the bowl with the applesauce and stir well.
- Sprinkle in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and mix until a batter forms.
- Pour the batter into a ramekin or a coffee mug and microwave for 60 seconds. The mug cake is done when it puffs up like a cake.
- Allow the mug to cool down slightly before removing it from the microwave. Then top with a scoop of ice cream and any other toppings and enjoy.