Seven layer bars, magic bars, hello dollys, whatever you call this little treat, these bars are next level amazing! They're gooey and ooey with a thick toasted oat cookie base and filled with chocolate and coconut. With a few simple swaps, these 7 layer bars are made vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free!
Vegan 7 Layer Cookie Bars
Gahh seven layer bars are a holiday classic! Loaded with chocolate and nuts and a sprinkle of shredded coconut, they have a little bit of everything. These toasted oat magic cookie bars have a few twists on the traditional seven layer bars.
Although they're called seven layer bars, these specific bars actually only have 6 (but each one is super delicious)! They have a delicious thick toasted oat base that's sturdy enough to hold all of the goods on top. And when I say 'goods' I'm talking about two types of chocolate, semi-sweet and dark, chopped pecans, shredded coconut, and sweetened condensed coconut milk. They're sweet and decadent and just so perfect for the holiday season!
What makes these magic bars so good?
Where do I even start?! Honestly, the best part about these bars has to be how simple and easy they are to make. They are a breeze to whip up. Just like the name sounds, there are a few layers to these bars. We stack each layer on top of each other then bake in the oven and BOOM magic seven layer bars!
How to make vegan 7 layer bars
You just need a few simple ingredients for this recipe and a square baking pan.
- First is the toasted oat cookie base. This is simply a mixture of oat flour, a little maple syrup, and some coconut oil. It's sturdy and thick and holds all the other layers on top.
- Next, comes the chocolate layer, my favorite! I used two different types of chocolate in two different sizes. Sprinkle one type over the oat cookie base.
- Follow with the second type of chocolate. I used mini semi-sweet chocolate chips in step 2 and dark chocolate morsels in this step!
- After the chocolate add the chopped nuts. Pecans are one of my favorite holiday nuts so I went with chopped pecans for this layer.
- Almost done, promise! Next sprinkle shredded coconut over top of the nuts. Make sure to sprinkle it all over so there is a nice even coat of coconut.
- Finally pour sweetened condensed coconut milk over top. I used this brand. It's important to evenly disperse this layer. If needed, use a rubber spatula to spread it out over the coconut
Once you have all the layers, it's time to bake! Bake the pan in the oven until the coconut shreds on top turn a golden brown. Let it cool completely before placing it in the fridge to set.
After it's set, you should be able to easily pull it out of the baking pan using the sides of the parchment paper. Then, using a sharp knife, slice into 16 square bars and enjoy!
Tips for the best oatmeal cookie bars
Although this recipe is pretty simple and easy, there are a few quick things you can do to ensure your magic cookie bars are THE best!
- Use parchment paper. This will really help get the bars out of the pan after they are set. The sweetened condensed coconut milk can be a tad sticky when baked and may stick to the sides of the pan. The parchment paper helps with this and makes it easy to remove.
- Pack the oat cookie base tight. This is important. Because the oat cookie base needs to hold 5 other layers (!!!) on top, it needs to be sturdy. When packing the oat mixture into your baking pan, use the bottom of a measuring cup or the back of a spoon to apply some pressure which makes sure the layer is solid and sound.
- Be sure to use two different types of chocolate. I used both semi-sweet and dark chocolate in this recipe. Typically, seven layer bars are made with butterscotch chips but I decided to switch it up a bit! Having two different types of chocolate ensures one flavor isn't too over powering.
- Allow time for the bars to chill. Once removed from the oven, these bars may look really gooey. This is okay. Allow them time to come to room temperature and then more time in the fridge to set. They will be much easier to cut into bars after they are set and much less messy!