Skip the tequila and blend up a refreshing pomegranate margarita mocktail! It's tart yet sweet and a perfect non-alcoholic option to enjoy on a warm summer day.
Whether you're a non-drinker, taking a break, or expecting, alcoholic drinks may not be your drink of choice. Whatever the reason, it shouldn't keep you from sipping on a refreshing and delicious drink!
Why I love tasty mocktails
I'm currently in the middle of my second pregnancy and around this time of year, with cinco de mayo around the corner, I start craving a classic margarita. I think it's the combination of tiredness and the warmer days. I've leaned into this craving instead of fighting it and started whipping up mocktail recipes and virgin drinks so I can feel like I'm enjoying a fun drink too!
If you've ever tried virgin margarita mix, you know how sweet it be due to all the added sugars. I wanted something more natural so this virgin margarita recipe is made with fresh juices, agave, and sparkling water to give it a pop of fizz making it taste just like the the real thing, without the tequila. The sweetness from the agave nectar and pomegranate juice perfect balance out the tartness from the fresh lime juice making it the perfect drink to cool you off on a hot day.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Lime juice - Fresh lime juice is best. You will need about 2 limes for each cocktail.
- Pomegranate juice - This is mixed in with the lime juice and adds some deep flavor to the drink and helps neutralize some of the tartness. Any other type of fruit juice will work like orange juice, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, etc. A bold juice is the secret ingredient to good nonalcoholic margaritas.
- Agave nectar - Used to sweeten the drink. Feel free to swap this with maple syrup or honey.
- Sparkling water - I like to use something bubbly to give the mocktail a little kick of flavor without watering it down. Club soda, tonic water, or a lime seltzer will work too.
- Ice cubes -
How to Make a Mocktail Margarita
All you need for this frozen mocktail margarita is a high speed blender and a glass. No cocktail shaker or fancy bar tool required!
Step 1 : Salt the rim of your glass
If salting your glass, hold the glass upside down and run a lime wedge around the rim. Keeping the glass upside down, dip the top of the glass in a shallow bowl or plate with coarse salt. Don't press the glass down too hard but instead lightly run it through the salt. Set the glass aside until the drink is ready.
Step 2 : Place all the ingredients in a blender
Add all the margarita ingredients including the ice to a blender and blend on high until the ice is finely broken up. You want the consistency to be like a slushy and not super icy.
Step 3 : Pour into glasses and garnish
Pour the frozen drink into your glass. Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
Can this drink be made on the rocks?
You can make this margarita mocktail recipe frozen or on the rocks. To make the drink on the rocks, you will want to shake the ingredients in a cocktail shaker or mason jar with ice to chill it, and then pour it into a glass with ice.
Frequently asked questions
Most traditional margarita mocktails are made with a virgin margarita mix which has a good bit of lime juice concentrate and sugar. Instead, I like to make my mocktails with fresh juices and a small amount of natural sweetener like agave nectar or honey. Bubbly water like seltzer or club soda is also best in a mocktail to provide some extra substance.
Yes, you can add 2 oz of tequila to this drink to make it alcoholic.
You can easily make a pitcher of margarita mocktails by multiplying the ingredients by how many people you are serving. I recommend making a pitcher of 4 mocktails in a blender.
For more refreshing recipes, check out my:
More From The Fit Peach
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Frozen Pomegranate Margarita Mocktail
- Sea salt - for rim, optional
- 3 oz lime juice - fresh (approx. 3 limes)
- 3 oz pomegranate juice
- 4 oz sparkling water
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 3 cups ice
- If salting the rim of your glass, hold the glass upside down and run a lime wedge around the rim. While holding the glass upside down. Gently dip the top in a shallow plate or bowl with sea salt. Flip the glass over and set aside to let the salt set while you make the rest of the drink.
- Place the remaining mocktail ingredients in a blender with the ice and blend on high until slushy. Keep blending until the consistency isn’t icy. If needed, add a few more ice cubes and blend again.
- Pour the mocktail into your glass and garnish with a lime juice if desired and enjoy!