These soft vegan pumpkin scones have a golden outside and a moist inside with a sweet maple glaze on top. Each bite is filled with cozy fall flavors making it the ultimate healthy brunch item this season! Made gluten free and dairy free too!
Hello fall and hellooo pumpkin scones! If you're like me and love pumpkin spice and everything nice, these vegan pastries are for you.
They have hints of pumpkin (nothing too overpowering) and specks of cinnamon and nutmeg in every bite. This recipe will definitely be one of your new fall favorites!
Ingredients and notes
- Pumpkin - Make sure to use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Coconut milk - This needs to be full-fat. The cream on top is what helps bind the dough together.
- Coconut sugar - Used to sweeten the vegan pumpkin scones. Granulated sugar will work as well or light brown sugar.
- Almond flour + Coconut flour - This combination of gluten free flours provides the perfect soft texture to the scones.
- Tapioca flour - This ensures the scones are nice a fluffy and not too dense. Substitute with arrow root starch if needed.
- Pumpkin spice - Used to add some fall flavors to the scones. If needed, substitute with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
Step by step directions
These vegan pumpkin scones can be whipped up in under and hour and are so fun to make! You will need a mixing bowl, a hand mixer or stand mixer, and a baking sheet.
Step 1 : Mix the wet ingredients
First, add the pumpkin, coconut milk, coconut sugar, and vanilla to a bowl and mix until smooth. This is best done with a stand mixer or hand mixer but you can also use a stiff whisk if needed.
Step 2 : Fold in dry ingredients
Next the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, pumpkin spice, and baking powder to the bowl. Gently fold until no flour clumps remain.
Lastly, add the coconut oil to the bowl and continue to mix until a large ball of dough forms.
Step 3 : Cut into triangles and bake
On a flat surface, form the dough into a circular shape about 2 inches thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into 8 triangles. If your knife sticks to the dough when cutting into it, brush a little flour onto the blade before slicing.
Place each triangle on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Brush the tops of each triangle with melted coconut oil. This is optional but will provide that golden brown color on top of the scones.
Bake in the oven until golden. Let cool slightly before adding the icing.
Step 4 : Drizzle with icing
In a separate bowl, mix the powdered sugar, maple syrup, and almond milk until slightly thick in consistency and smooth. Using a spoon, drizzle over top of each scone.
Step 5 : Top with granola
To further elevate these healthy pumpkin scones, sprinkle a little pumpkin granola on top to give it a crunch.
Purely Elizabeth Pumpkin Granola
Purely Elizabeth's Pumpkin Cinnamon granola is the perfect accompaniment to these scones. It had those fresh fall flavors with little chunks of pumpkin seeds in the mix. Not to mention it's gluten free and naturally sweetened too!
Be sure to wait until the icing has set before storing. The best way to store these vegan pumpkin scones is in an airtight container in the fridge.
When ready to enjoy, heat them up in a toaster oven to make the outside crispy. You can also warm them up in the microwave for a soft scone.
Frequently asked questions
For this recipe, mix together the wet ingredients first. Then fold in the dry ingredients until a large ball of dough forms. Form the dough into a circle about 2 inches thick. Slice the dough into triangles, brush with melted coconut oil, and bake until golden.
Drizzle with icing and any extra toppings.
If you really want the pumpkin flavor to come through in these scones, add another teaspoon of pumpkin spice to the dough.
I have not tried these scones with oat flour. However, my vegan chia spiced scones are made with oat flour if you want to check those out!
For more fall inspired recipes, check out my:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
Healthy Vegan and Gluten free Pumpkin Scones
For the scones
- ¾ cup pumpkin
- ½ cup coconut milk - full-fat
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil - solid
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil - optional
- ¼ cup coarse cane sugar - optional
For the icing
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon almond milk - unsweetened
- 1 cup Purely Elizabeth Pumpkin Cinnamon Granola
- Preheat oven to 375 F. In a bowl, beat together the pumpkin, coconut milk, coconut sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, pumpkin spice, and baking powder to the bowl and begin mixing. Lastly add the coconut oil to the bowl and continue to mix until a large ball of dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment paper and form the dough into a large disk about 8 inches in diameter. With a sharp knife, cut the dough in half horizontally and then again in half vertically. Next, cut each section of the circle in half again so you are left with 8 individual scones.
- Transfer the scones to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and space them out at least 2 inches a part. If desired, brush the tops of the scones with melted coconut oil and sprinkle with coarse cane sugar. Bake in the oven for 17 - 20 minutes until golden brown.
- While the scones are cooling, prepare the icing by mixing together all icing ingredients in a bowl until thin. Drizzle on top of the scones, sprinkle Purely Elizabeth Pumpkin Cinnamon Granola over top of each, and enjoy!