These gluten-free monkey bread muffins are ooey and gooey and taste just like the classic! Made from scratch with homemade biscuit-style dough, cinnamon coconut sugar coating, and a coconut butter glaze. Grab a cup of coffee and one of these and you're good to go!
Gluten-free Monkey Bread Muffins with Coconut Butter Icing
Disclaimer - this is not your grandma's monkey bread. However, these muffins put a fun, classy, and healthy twist on the traditional sticky treat. Each muffin is gooey and fluffy but, most importantly, you can have your own 😉
These monkey bread muffins are completely made from scratch with homemade gluten-free dough and a luscious coconut butter glaze. You'll get a healthy dose of cinnamon coconut sugar amazing-ness with every bite.
What is Monkey Bread?
The classic monkey bread contains pieces of biscuit dough, melted butter, and lots of cinnamon sugar. It's usually made in a bundt cake pan and enjoyed by pulling off pieces of dough with your hands.
This recipe looks and tastes just like the original but better (IMO). They key to a good monkey bread is hints of cinnamon and a major fluff factor which is just what we have here. On top of that, you can enjoy a hand-held muffin all to yourself! It's a win-win situation if you ask me.
Ingredients You Need
You just need a few simple gluten-free pantry staples to make these vegan and gluten-free monkey bread muffins:
- Coconut milk + Apple cider vinegar - also known as "vegan buttermilk". We use this mixture to help our dough rise (aka achieve some serious fluff factor)
- Cassava flour + Tapioca flour - the combination of cassava and tapioca four ensures a doughy, gluten-free consistency
- Baking powder - if you like fluffy muffins, don't skip this!
- Coconut sugar - unlike typical biscuit dough, a little coconut sugar adds a touch of sweet sugar crystals that are amazing when baked
- Vanilla - to provide these muffins with a hint of sweetness
- Coconut oil - this is what gives our dough the moisture needed to rise without crumbling
- Maple syrup - this is drizzled over top of the balls of dough before baking to provide a sweet gooey texture to the muffins
- Coconut butter - instead of traditional icing, melted coconut butter is a great healthier alternative!
How to Make Gluten-free Monkey Bread
These vegan gooey monkey bread muffins have 4 major steps:
- Prepare the dough. To make the gluten-free dough, first mix the dry ingredients. Then, add the melted coconut oil and vanilla and mix until small clumps of dough form. This is when we add the wet ingredients. Stir the mixture together until a sticky dough forms. The dough will become less sticky after a couple minutes. Let it sit on the counter while you make the cinnamon coconut sugar coating
- Roll dough in cinnamon and coconut sugar. With a small cookie scoop, scoop balls of dough and roll each in a shallow bowl with the cinnamon and coconut sugar to coat. Next, place these balls of dough in a muffin tin lined with liners. Each liner should hold 3 - 4 pieces of dough.
- Drizzle the maple syrup over top. This is what gives the muffins a little bit of a delicious tacky consistency. Once this is done, bake the muffins in the oven.
- Top with melted coconut butter. After the muffins are baked, top with a little melted coconut butter and enjoy!