This cozy vegan bourbon apple galette has all the flavors of a delicious apple pie but without all the fuss. It has a crispy sweet crust holding together bourbon infused baked apples all topped off with a scoop or two of ice cream. Made with gluten-free and paleo-friendly ingredients, it simply must be on your fall baking list.
Vegan Bourbon Apple Galette
If you don't know what a galette is, you're not alone. I didn't even know what it was until recently but let me tell ya, I'm officially it's biggest fan. It's like an apple pie but different. And by different I mean it's easier than, well, pie.
This vegan apple galette still has the sweet flaky crust of traditional apple pie but without all the pie crust fuss. The center holds fresh ripe apple slices swimming in a cinnamon bourbon bath. Oh, and you can't forget the ice cream. The ice cream is a non-negotiable with galettes (at least I say so).
On top of all of that, once it's baked you simply cut into it like a PIZZA! How easy is that?! So, if you're new to galettes too, I'll bet you'll be a HUGE fan after this recipe.
What is a galette?
Simply put, a galette is like taking all the "good stuff" about a pie and placing on a baking sheet. It's made with a crust, similar to a pie, but instead of stuffing it inside of a pan to bake, you leave it rolled out on top of a piece of parchment paper.
Again, just like a pie, you add the filling. This is where you can get fun with it and make an eye-catching design (or just throw it all in and call it a day - that works too). Then curl the sides of the dough up and towards the center to keep the filling locked inside. Add a little extra sprinkle of sugar to the crust before baking and voila - hello tasty vegan galette!
To serve, scoop a little ice cream on top and then slice it up into pizza slice-like triangles. It's fun to make, super delicious, and without the pie crust troubles.
How to make this vegan bourbon apple galette
Step 1 : Prepare the crust
Make the crust just like you would a pie crust. I have a detailed post here all about the perfect gluten-free pie crust. Roll it out on a piece of parchment paper to about ¼ inch in thickness. Place a 9-inch cake pan on top and lightly press down to make an indentation. This is so you have a guide when you add your filling and to prevent you from overstuffing the galette.
Step 2 : Add the filling
Next, add the apple filling. To do this, you'll want to slice up a couple ripe apples into thin slices (like very thin). Fan out the apple slices into one large circle outlining the indentation you just made with the cake pan. Then fan out another smaller circle inside going the opposite direction. For instance, if the outer circle is moving clockwise, make inner circle move counter-clockwise
After the apples are laid out, spoon the bourbon cinnamon mixture over top. Some recipes will call for you to mix the apples and the cinnamon mixture before laying them out, but this is much less messy. Use a spoon and drizzle the mixture all over the apples. Use the back of the spoon to brush any bare areas if needed
Step 3 : Wrap up the vegan galette and bake!
Now it's time to wrap up your vegan bourbon apple galette! Use the parchment paper to fold up the sides of the crust. You'll want to create little "pleats" every couple of inches which is done by tucking a little bit of the dough underneath itself to form a circle. Sprinkle a little extra coconut sugar over top of the crust then bake in the oven.
You're sure to love these other fall favorites!
Cozy Bourbon Apple Galette
For the crust
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar - plus a little extra to sprinkle on top
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil - solid
- 4 - 5 tablespoon ice cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the filling
- 2 - 3 apples - I recommend honey crisp or pink lady
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoon bourbon - you can omit this to keep it completely paleo-friendly
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix the almond flour, tapioca starch, and coconut sugar together in a food processor, stand-mixer, or large mixing bowl. Then add the coconut oil, cold water, and vanilla and mix to incorporate.2 cups almond flour, 1 cup tapioca flour, 2 tablespoon coconut sugar, 4 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 4 - 5 tablespoon ice cold water
- Roll out the dough onto a large piece of parchment paper sprinkled with a little extra tapioca starch to about ¼ inch in thickness. Place a 9-inch cake pan over top and lightly press down to create an indentation (use this as your guide when adding your filling).
- Slice the apples into thin pieces. Fan out the apples into a large circle outlining the circle indentation moving clockwise. Create a smaller circle with the apples moving counter-clockwise inside of the large circle.2 - 3 apples
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut sugar, bourbon, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Drizzle over top of the apples. Use the back of the spoon to brush the mixture into any bare areas.¼ cup coconut sugar, 2 tablespoon bourbon, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Use the parchment paper to help fold up the sides of the dough towards the middle. Make little "pleats" with the dough every couple of inches by tucking the dough on top of itself to create a large circle.
- Sprinkle the crust with a little extra sugar and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Top the galette with a couple scoops of ice cream and serve.Vanilla Ice Cream