Jump into the holiday spirit with a Christmas margarita in hand! It's citrusy and colorful and naturally sweetened with fruit juice. Made with only 4 ingredients, it's a simple way to celebrate with family and friends!
The holidays are a great time to try your hand at making your own cocktails. It's become one of my favorite things to do with my family this time of year!
This Christmas margarita will be a crowd hit with its bold citrus flavors and subtle hint of smoky mezcal. It's hard to pass up a margarita and this one is no different!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s easy to make with only 4 ingredients
- This drink is citrusy and flavorful
- It’s festive and boldly colored
- There are no fancy syrups or sweeteners needed
- It’s naturally sweetened with orange and pomegranate juice
- This drink is great to make in a batch for a gathering
Ingredients & Notes
- Pomegranate juice - This adds a slightly sweet and tart flavor to the margarita. I love the POM brand as the only ingredient is pomegranate juice. They sell a 16oz bottle and an 8oz bottle which are both great for cocktails. They also have a 48oz bottle which is great if you’re looking to make a big batch of this Christmas margarita recipe.
- Orange juice - Oranges are in season in December making it a great time to add fresh juice to a cocktail! Fresh squeezed orange juice is best but you can also use store bough too. I recommend the kind with no pulp and no added sugars.
- Lime juice - Because what is a margarita without lime juice? Fresh lime juice is best but you can also use the kind in the bottle too.
- Mezcal - This is my go-to liquor in margaritas as it adds a bit more depth of flavor and a little smokiness. Feel free to use your favorite tequila though!
What is Mezcal?
Mezcal very much resembles tequila. In fact, all tequila is mezcal, but not all mezcal is tequila. Mezcal can be distilled from any agave plant where tequila must be distilled from blue agave.
Mezcal adds a rich smokey flavoring to the cocktail that pairs so well with the citrus. It also makes the cocktail feel warm and cozy which is exactly what you want to feel around the holidays.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 : Rim your glass. I recommend a salt rim for this cocktail recipe but a sugar rim will work well too. You should do this step first so the rim has time to set before you add the drink to it.
Step 2 : Shake the drink. Add all the drink ingredients to a shaker with ice and vigorously shake for at least 15 seconds. This breaks up some of the ice into the drink and makes it super cold.
Step 3 : Pour into your glass. Pour the cocktail through a strainer and into the glass. You can serve it over ice or as it since it will already be cold. Garnish the glass with an orange slice and enjoy!
How to Salt the Rim of Your Cocktail Glass
Hold the cocktail glass upside down, run a lime wedge or orange wedge around the rim of the glass. The citrus juice acts as an adhesive for the salt. Be sure to hold it upside down when doing this to prevent the juice from dripping all the way down the glass.
Gently press the rim of the glass into a shallow plate with salt to coat the rim. This is best done by doing a circle motion with the glass and not letting it scrape the bottom of the plate.
Set the glass to the side to set while you prepare the cocktail.
Because this recipe is very simple there are lots of ways to mix it up!
- Use cranberry juice in place of pomegranate juice
- Add an egg white to the shaker to add a frothy foam. Skip the ice in the shaker and only mix the cocktail ingredients first. Then add ice and shake again to make it cold.
- Add some cinnamon for an extra cozy touch. You can add this straight to the cocktail shaker.
- Swap the orange juice with apple cider for more warm flavors.
How to Make a Batch of Margaritas
This recipe can easily be made in a large batch. I recommend making this in a batch of 4, 8, 12, or 24. Simply multiply the quantities below by the number of cocktails you want to batch. Mix the ingredients without ice in a large pitcher with a spoon.
Store the pitcher in a tub of ice to keep it cold. Have guests pour the margarita into glasses over ice.
What to Serve with the Cocktail
- Fried Goat Cheese Balls
- Sweet Potato Fries with Dipping Sauces
- Feta Stuffed Mushrooms
- Whipped Goat Cheese
- Baked Honey Thyme Whipped Ricotta Dip
- Gluten free Pigs in a Blanket
- Charcuterie Board
- Savory Cheesy Popcorn
Check out these recipes other festive drink recipes you'll love:
PS : If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a star review and comment below! Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date on all tasty recipes here at The Fit Peach!
- 2 oz pomegranate juice
- 2 oz orange juice
- ½ oz lime juice
- 2 oz mezcal
- First, rim your glass with salt if desired (optional, see notes). Set aside while you prepare the drink.
- Add the pomegranate juice, orange juice, lime juice, and mezcal to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Pour the cocktail into a glass and enjoy.